1984 bmw 733i

my friend bought a 1984 bmw 733i and the car will not start and we think it is the igntion control module but we can not locate it on the car please help andrea

Reply to
andreab4

First check whether is is producing a spark. You can buy a $5 tester for this.

Reply to
Misterbeets

Fuel pump relay would be my first suspect on one of these.

Reply to
John Burns

You dont have an ignition control module, your coil is controlled by the ecu.

First make sure you have 12V to the "+" of the coil and ground your meter on another part of the car. If you have 12V and you suspect the coil is bad, disconnect the wires from the "-" of the coil, turn power on, and ground the coil. It should throw a spark.

But I would suspect that you real problem is the crank sensor located on the engine flange by the starter. When you located the sensor you will also see another identical sensor right next to it. Swap the sensor locations as well as their connectors. If the sensor was bad then you will now have spark but your rpm guage will not work.

Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson