front electric windows

recently purchased a bmw 320cd motorsport convertible and on random occasions when i open the car the drivers side window goes right down then when i shut the door it goes back up, very strange. Does anyone know the reason why this keeps happening??

Reply to
mac

on my 528i the windows open if I hold down (as opposed to just press) the unlock button and close if I hold down the lock button...

Maybe you have a similar program but just for the one window...? (the programs are customisable on a per car / key basis)

Reply to
Shevek

A lot of convertibles do that. The Boxster is one example. The odd part is that they do it all the time. It allows the window to clear the top for a better seal.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Krueger

My Z4 does the same - but only if the windows are up when the door is shut. They "adjust" about 1/8".

Tom

Reply to
Tom K.

That does seem like an a malfunction - is your car still under warranty?

Tom

Reply to
Tom K.

That is very strange. Time to take it in.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Krueger

The real question is, why does it stop happening? It's supposed to do that everytime you open either of the doors. The windows fit into a rubber seal, and they should drop to clear the seal anytime the door is opened.

My car (a '94 convertable) quit dropping the window (driver side only), and it turned out to be a microswitch that is built into the door latch assembly. I removed the door latch and cleaned a spring that activated the microswitch (the microswitch itself is okay, but the lilnkage sticks) and this fixed my problem.

You should also notice that when the window fails to drop, the interior light and key-in-the-ingnition chime also fail to come on. This is a sign that the car doesn't know the door has been opened -- which is precisely what the switch is supposed to tell it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Well, DUH! If the windows are already raised less than the full amount, there is no purpose in lowering them. The windows ONLY need to be lowered if they are fully raised when the door is opened.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

That's a bit odd. The windows shouldn't go fully down, they should only drop enough to clear the rubber seal in the A-pillar and the roof structure.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland