1994 525i AC blower fan... maybe...??

I just purchased my first BMW... 1994 525i right hand drive (stationed in Japan).

Love it so far, but the AC, on high, does not blow very hard at all. Are there any particular things in the AC equipment string that I could check/replace in order to increase the strength of the fan? The AC runs cold like it is supposed to, just not very hard at all. Could I replace just the actual fan? It is very hot and humid here and stronger AC would be marvelous.

Not very experienced with AC systems, so if anyone could give some advice or pointers I woul appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Reply to
jmastrom

wrote

Try replacing the microfilter (hvac system filter).

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Given the age of the car - it's very likely the microfilter on the AC has never been changed and is causing the low airflow problem.

On US cars it is accessed by having extra joints in your limbs, and getting in the right seat upside down so your head is down under the glove-box area (and you remove the glove-box) - then you pull out some carpeted trim panels, look for a tiny door, open it and wiggle the old filter out. Expect to find dead birds, lots of bugs, mold and other nasties.

Dunno how the access is on right-side-drive cars. Perhaps from the left foot well.

Whatever - it's a royal unmitigated PITA to do. You might consider taking it to a dealer and let them deal with it.

Reply to
admin

Thanks for the Input... this seems like the answer because the fan "sounds" like it is blowing a lot harder than it actually is. I am in Japan, so the odds of me finding a BMW dealer close to me that speaks a little english are slim. I will be forced to try it myself. I hope the right-hand drive doesn't cause too much of an problem. I ordered a bentley BMW repair manual, hopefully it can help me out.

Reply to
jmastrom

Luckily UK cars are RHD too - so you can get advice from an English speaking group. I agree with the others - a blocked microfilter will reduce the flow. Heating as well as cooling.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would suggest you replace (or just remove) the cabin air filter.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Found a local Japanese BMW dealer over the weekend... He is ordering the filter and will change it out next weekend, and for about $100. Hopefully that corrects the issue. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Reply to
jmastrom