A/C playing up.

Er? Auto but only use the A/C part when too hot. this is a classic case of not describing the chain of events.

Auto = A/C system + heating all the time so if you have it on auto and the windows open you are wasting fuel and any effect the filtration process the A/C might give you.

However, if you only have the HEATER on for your legs then the A/C system hasn't been run for ages and that more than likely the problem. If the A/C compressor isn't used the seals go hard and the GAS will escape causing a drop of pressure and no COOLING. A/C gas is a liquid when under pressure and a gas when the pressure is released. When a liquid it is hot and when the liquid turns to a gas it "boils" @ - 20C and in order to boil it must take heat from what is available such as the surrounding air just like you boil water on a gas or electric cooker ring/hob - apply heat and the water boils @ 100C.

If the A/C hasn't been used for some time - overworked (with the windows open) or not serviced (re-gassed and checked for leaks) then it's a 10:1 chance that there is no gas in the system and if that's the problem get the condenser checked for leaks, Check the large fan in front of it is actually working (they do seize often) when the A/C is on and change the Filter/Drier unit too.

Can cost $$$$$ but worth it - and make sure the A/C pump compressor clutch it also working - low pressure will lock it out of action as will a damaged coil and contacts. Last Fall (Autumn) my compressor clutch actually disintegrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES -------- BANG Kerrunchhhhhhhh! "£800" GB pounds in total.

Sir Hugh of Bognor

hsg

Ah. If it has a sunroof on a UK car presumably not climate control?

Climate control allows different temperatures on either side of the car. And opening a window etc to cool the car over a set temperature will simply make the system increase the heat out of the vents.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I could have been using it wrongly. If so I used my last BMW the same way for 18months:-) pete

pete

I haven't had a window open lately:-) pete

pete

The weather in London this past week has been wonderful - I've had all the windows open most of the time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I always travelled with the drivers door window open at one time. Now I very rarely do so:-( pete

pete

If we are talking about windows now - can't remember the last time I had one open - Oh! the other day I stopped and opened the passenger window to ask someone a question.

Up until Monday I don't think many folk had any reason to open a window although I did open the roof on Wednesday just to see if it still worked - it does!

Anyway - anybody want to buy a nice E38 740i-------------? I am going to get that E65 730d - it's almost as quick and turns nearly 35mpg average (real figures not gov' imagination)

Sir Hugh of Bognor

hsg

A neighbour has a 535d auto which I've driven and it is stunningly fast. In general give and take motoring, faster than a 540, I'd say.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Still necessary to re-gas every 3 or 4 years , also use the a/c for 10 mins every month (as a minimum)- this lubriactes the working parts and the pipes - otherwise you'll loose all the gas

pete wrote:

Reply to
Lurkio

I have been searching for 2 months now for a 540/545/550 tourer to replace my wheels and with a complete lack of success:-( pete

pete

I had a '98 535 saloon and I now have a 540 tourer. The 540 is much faster especially from a standing start both in automatic and manual gear shift. Mind you the 540 has not done half the miles the 535 had. pete

pete

I think my car turns the A/C on and off automatically. I seldom use it manually but I will in future. pete

pete

It is fixed. The bill says Diagnostic test FOC. Map/Thermostat Sensor £59.20. Antifreeze £32.50. Labour £60. It appears to be working ok now and best of all I got my car back the same day. pete

pete