BMW E30 Bilstein front shock installation

Hi all, I bought new HD Bilstein shock inserts for my `91 318is. I've replaced the struts on my former `84 318i without any notable problems, but these look like different beasts. With respect to instructions, a picture speaks 1000 words, and these shocks came with neither the picture, nor the words. I assume that I bolt the top nut to the upper mount without any additional or different parts. Any opinions on reusing the old upper mounts? How would I attach the blue bellows-style dust boots to the strut tube? There's an add looking polyethylene collar with lugs pointed toward the inside diameter - is that somehow related? I had to make a spanner for the collar since none was provided nor available anywhere and I can't measure torque with a compass-style adjustable spanner.

Any help would be appreciated. I spend about an hour looking on the `net for install blogs, but found nothing that addressed these questions. If you can point me to an online procedure, that would be great.

Thanks,

Scott

Reply to
tbrown

Jack

How far down the strut tube should the notched collar be pushed? Should I measure the free length of the blue bellows before I install the strut, then seek to extend it to that length when I install it?

Thanks

Reply to
tbrown

Initially install the poly collar just below the top of the strut tube. This makes it easier to install the bellows. After you have the bellows installed push it down as far as it will go ( a couple of inches as I recall). With the weight on wheels the strut will be a lot shorter and the bellows will be closer to it's natural length.

Reply to
Jack