Brake pads on BMW

I have a 2012 BMW 3 series. I recently had two tyres replaced in a tyre and exhaust centre, and the man told me that both my front and rear
brakes were worn and should be replaced within weeks.
Yet the car itself is telling me that there are at least 6000 miles left before brake replacement is necessary. Which advice is likely to be more reliable? If the brake pads are dangerously worn, will the car's warning lights alert me?

Well, of course they are worn. The question is how worn are they?

I believe that you still have the electronic sensor on the brake pads on this car, although you should check to make sure. If that's the case, when the brake pads get worn down to the level of the sensor, the sensor will wear through and you'll get a light on the panel telling you that the pads need replacing. Only the front brakes have the sensors, but the front pads wear faster than the rears normally.
There are people who will argue that since the pads are only $35 for a set and the sensors are $15 or so each that it's better to replace the pads before the sensors go, because it'll save you $30 on the job. These people are likely not working at your local tire and exhaust center, though. --scott

On 22/03/2017 17:28, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Thanks for that advice. I think I'll have the pads replaced then. I hope the tire and exhaust centre has the technology to re-set the BMW onboard computer so that it knows that the pads have been replaced.
The Todal wrote:

That's the easy part. Finding someone there to remove and install the new pads correctly is the tough part...
--
Steve W.