Change of car.

Fir the last 17 months I have been driving a 1998 535 and I have had terrific enjoyment out of it. Foolishly I mentioned that I would like to have it changed for a Tourer model hoping to get a 540. No such luck though. On Wednesday I pick up a 4 year old 530 sport touring diesel. Just how much difference will I notice driving the diesel car? Obviously the steering will be a huge plus but as far as I can make out a 530 diesel is a pretty basic car and of course it will not sit up when I take off from traffic lights:-( pete

Reply to
turtill

You'll be pleasantly surprised I think. The 3L diesel is a pretty strong performer. Loads of torque and very 'long legs'. I also think you'll be pleased with the mpg too, unlike the V8! Let us know how you get on with your new motor. JB

Reply to
JB

I need to hear all the nice things there are to say about it. I am gutted as I wanted a luxurious 540 Tourer or at the very least a 530 petrol:-( What I am getting I believe is a basic 520 with a diesel engine:-( pete

Reply to
turtill

I take it this is a company car then? Hence you have little say as to the engine type and spec? Having driven both an older 540 tourer and the newer

530D I must admit to liking the diesel. Admittedly they were both manual box versions which I really prefer. In normal driving, there is not much to choose between them, then again, I don't really care for all the 'toys'. the 'basic' car still has excellent handling, steering and brakes and the 3L diesel has plenty of 'urge'. If you are paying with your own money, why not get a 540? There plenty about on the used market. If you are not paying for it, I'd keep quiet. They could have given you a Merc instead :>)

JB

Reply to
JB

No it isn't a company car. My son bought us a decent car again when I had to quit work and my wife got ill. I will have to be grateful for having a decent son and hope I get a 540 next year:-) pete

Reply to
turtill

I have been saved. I am just back from Newmarket where my lad bought me a 2000 540 Tourer with only 51K miles and a full BMW service history. I saw a television screen in the car too but I do not know if it is a tv or sat nav. I pick it up Wednesday and I am well pleased in fact I am chuffed as it is what I wanted to start with. Now I have to get £200 deposit back off the dealer he was going to buy the 530D off. The receipt says it is non-returnable????? pete

Reply to
turtill

That's the whole point of a deposit isn't it. To stop people mucking=20 about like you just have. I don't think you have any moral right to=20 expect him to return your deposit.

--=20

jeremy ['01 BMW 530iA SE Touring]

Reply to
Jeremy

If the dealer had suffered loss I might agree with you but in this case the car had just arrived from the main dealer and wouldn't have been ready until 1st March anyhow. They have done nothing so far that they wouldn't have had to do to put the car on their forecourt. I am confident they have suffered no loss and if they had been reasonable I would probably have given the salesman a good drink out of it for his time. They have refused to refund though so I will not accept anything less than the full £200 now. pete

Reply to
turtill

Just when I was ready to give this guy the benefit of the doubt (maybe he's just a car nut and not an ungrateful _ _ _ ), he goes and gets all uppity!

"I" will not accept anything less than the full £200 now.

I hope he gets what he deserves but unfortunately his wonderful son will probably be the loser.

Chris

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

You know for certain do you that they have had no other enquiries with=20 which they have had to respond "I'm sorry but we have already taken a=20 deposit on this vehicle from another customer"?

--=20

jeremy ['01 BMW 530iA SE Touring]

Reply to
Jeremy

Yes actually I do. The car had just arrived from the main dealer and had not been advertised because it was not ready then and it is still not ready. It maybe ready by the 1st March and so they have suffered no loss as all they are doing now is what they would have to do anyhow if the sale to me had gone through. I was ready to make a gesture towards losing the sale but they didn't want to know and unfortunately it became a face off and that means small claims court or Trading Standards or whatever. I did write and apologise for changing my mind and as it was only 2 days later they will have had no loss. It is not something I am enjoying doing but they want to face me off and that is that unfortunately. This is an RAC dealership and I am in the RAC so I am not expecting any problem. It would have been so much easier if they had asked me to make a payment for their inconvenience. pete

Reply to
turtill

Easier for you to be an _ _ _ and repeat to them the paragraph you just wrote here. I guess I'm glad you got the car you wanted, that IS great but shit, you just dodged a bullet almost landing in a car you feared you'd seriously dislike and all you care about is getting your 200 back even though you yourself knew it to be 'non-refundable'. Now all you have to live with is yourself.

Enjoy the car, Chris

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I do not understand your problem. The £200 is my sons money and it was paid as a token of commitment. It was, at the time, but things changed before anything could happen that would cause the dealer loss. I actually went there to look at a 530 but that hadn't got Zens and so he showed me a 530 diesel which I thought I was going to have. If I wasn't serious at the time I would have waited until the car had been prepared and had another look. The dealers trade on the fact that they are RAC accredited and after 2 days when I changed my mind they had suffered no loss so I want the £200 back. As I said before I would have given the salesman a good drink for his trouble but the company wanted to make an issue of it and that is it. pete

Reply to
turtill

You need to understand that Peter Turtill is a well known whack-job and serious net kook, and that you are wasting your time with this kind of logic.

You don't need to take *my* word for it, a little research will give you all the information you need.

Next up, he'll threaten more lawsuits against the car dealer, and then anyone else he thinks is disagreeing with him. He's nearly as bad as Tony Bourne, though it's fun to watch those two yelling at each other, each accusing the other of faking disabilities, dodging income tax, and so on.

HTH, HAND, YMMV, etc.

Reply to
Dean Dark

You are misguided to say the least. Anthony Bournes has been caught making hundreds of silly posts about me and has twice lost his connection for this and for posting in my name through ReadFreeNews. Even google allow me to remove his posts when I care enough to do so. pete

Reply to
turtill

Pete, Suffice it to say that you remind me of an interview I recently heard with Colin Powell on the BBC. The BBC guy was doing his best to try to get CP to apologize to the world for misleading them on Iraq. CP refused to admit that he'd deceived anyone, saying over and over the same old dribble drabble about everyone thought, everyone thought........

The fact of the matter, CP did mislead my country (and the world). This is an established fact only arguable by the looniest of loonies. The point that CP could have argued was only whether or not he had 'knowingly' misled.

You argue that the deposit WAS a commitment when it was made. The term commitment used in this fashion is not a temporary thing that you give and take based on your perception of the current situation. Nowhere in the fine print does it say that 'your deposit is nonrefundable only if we have incurred some loss or expense since you made such commitment'. The simple fact that you spent time with a salesman and such means that it is a FACT that you did cost them something. Oh ya, I forgot, you were 'willing' to 'buy him a drink', I'm sure that would have made it all better.

Chris

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

It is my sons money and he probably couldn't care less. The law says I should have the money refunded and that is good enough for me. That is what laws are for, to obey. pete

Reply to
turtill

you're a funny guy! Take care.

Chris