bit OT car ins

I mentioned a few weeks back, i was hoping to get a German camper...well if all goes to plan i get it next week.

Spoke to DVLA, said i can keep it here for a here, as long as i register it in my name, no probs...

Spoke to my ins co, Swintons, who gave me a fone number to call..

Just spoke to them, and they say no UK ins co will insure a German vehicle without a UK number plate (in Germany i can get a UK car insured)

They said i have to get it insured from Germany..

Has anyone got any info please...

I dont want to change it to UK plates, lights etc, as it has a long German MOT left, 3 times this year i will be with it in Germany...(and POland, and i know/knew that German ins co's dont like people driving into Cz and Poland)

At the end of the year, im hoping to move to Germany, so daft to make it UK, only to change it back some months later.

Has anyone got any experiance and can give me some advice.

Im keeping my fingers crossed i get it next week, the owner is driving it from Berlin on Mon, and were doing a straight swop for my 94BMW touring.. cheers

Reply to
Jules

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 13:29:51 GMT, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Jules:

Do that, then you won't need to re-register the campervan with UK plates. Only way it'll work if you plan to keep the German plates. If you are not going to be living in the same area where you bought the campervan, I think you'll find that you'll have to change the German plates anyway!!

Reply to
Alex Buell

I have a Berlin address i can use, and im back in Germany a couple of times this year with the camper, but it seemed daft to change headlights etc, get MOT etc (i get free road tax, so thats no expense) and make it UK registerd, for only a few months. DVLA said no probs i can have it here for yes than a year as a German vehicle, its just getting it insured...

Reply to
Jules

Look, Jules, it's simple. It's a German registered vehicle, registered to somebody at a German address.

Why would you insure it in the UK? You'd insure it in Germany with a German insurance company.

Reply to
toomany2cvs

Jules,

Try asking at uk.rec.motorcaravans

Reply to
Brian G

it wont be this week, it will be legally registered to me in the UK, as the DVLA said i could legally do

because i live here, and can have it temp imported for a year, with the German MOT being perfectly legal...

I can insure my English car, from Berlin, many ex pats do. i just cant find a insurance co here that does the opposite

Reply to
Jules

thanks, i had a idea earlier, tomorrow will pop to WH Smiths and check out the back of some mags....

Reply to
Jules

Jules ("Jules" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Didn't think you were putting it on UK plates?

If it's on German plates, it has nothing whatsoever to do with DVLA.

If a car is on German plates, it has to conform to German law and be registered with the German authorities. Since they change plates as you move from area to area, I really can't see them allowing you to use a UK address on the German registration. You can't do it the other way round, either.

Yes, but it's still registered in Germany to a German address. If you want to change the address to a UK one, it needs to be registered here.

That'll be a British registered car registered to you at a British address?

Why would they? I'm more surprised that German insurers will do that, tbh.

Reply to
Adrian

didnt want too

It does if i register it in my name, they said i can do that, but if its here less than a year no problems with declaring it as imported, even temp

I can use a German address at a push, also in Berlin where its registerd, but wanted to use mine here...

which.....the DVLA told me i can do, just register in it my name, then if its legal in Germany with there MOT etc etc, then its legal here...simple, no need to get MOT here and spend a small fortune on new headlights and getting V5

Brit car, registered here or with a address in Germany...i checked out on taking one of my bimmers to Germany.

If its Eu legal in another country, new owner lives in UK, its pretty simple proccess.

I know its a pretty simple process to get it a V5, headlights, fog lights (cant think of owt else) mot (but it has 18 months left of the German one at least)pay 50 quid...but if i do that, im back in Germany in 2 months, then again 5 months, then again i hope permantly in 8 months, then get it back to German registerd, thats when it will get hard as they will ask a million and one questions, why all this fuss for just a few months outside Germany.

Reply to
Jules

Jules ("Jules" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

If you register it in your name with DVLA, it will be given a UK registration, require UK VED, UK MOT...

So you need to talk to the German registration authorities.

Somebody is misunderstanding...

...in Germany...

Correct. But it won't be on DVLA's books at all.

DVLA won't register to a non-UK address. End of.

Reply to
Adrian

i looked at the DVLA website in dec, it didnt make much sense, as i have mild dyslexia, so i popped off to my local office in Sheffield da'n tha ro'ad....

I told them i wanted to import a camper from Germany, and it mentioned temp on the website, she said was it less than 12 months, so i said yes, and she said, oh dont worry, pop it in your name and keep it here for less than a year, kein problem! i looked funny at her and asked was she sure, she asked her boss and he said yes...not a problem.

having dealt with German authorites, unless im there in person, they tell you a 100 things over the fone, and arnt too happy to please...

i asked for her bosses input, he said the same, can be done.

but as i was told, if i register it in my name, then the TUEV is fine, its like i spend yonks in Germany with my bimmer, if its legal here, then its legal in Germany..

i can leave a temp address here.

Just had a reply from someone in the camper group with this question, a guy has done what i want many times, he says they insure it on the chassis details ,and to try A Flux...that was a name i was thinking of for days, but couldnt remember

Reply to
Jules

Jules ("Jules" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yep, as a short term measure so you can MOT it here and register it in the UK - which requires proof of UK insurance.

I've done that myself several times. The insurers asked for the UK registration to be forwarded as soon as possible.

Reply to
Adrian

Usually you don't have to tell anyone at all and you can use a foreign vehicle for a period of 6 months out of 12 without having to tell anyone but you have to be able to show when you arrived and/or left etc. So You'll have to ship the van out again in six months or register it.

To insure one in the UK though, I have no idea.

Reply to
adder1969

adder1969 (adder1969 ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Indeed. But it will need to be fully legal - registered, taxed, tested, insured - according to the requirements of the country it's registered in.

Reply to
Adrian

I will call flux tomorrow...and hopefully when im next near the local DVLA, pop back in, and ask them again, can i register a German vehicle here and keep it for a few months

Reply to
Jules

Let's try this very slowly - do you want a UK r-e-g-i-s-t-r-a-t-i-o-n number?

Can you guess what you shouldn't do if you don't?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Jules ("Jules" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

And the answer will be yes.

To do so, you'll require a UK MOT, UK insurance. Then, when you do so, they'll give you a UK registration.

Reply to
Adrian