E39 Windscreen water squirters not working

My water ran out today during a long, foggy, dirty drive and now that I have re-filled the tank they are still not working. The squirters on the headlamps are working.

Any ideas what's causing this / how to fix it...?

TIA

Reply to
Shevek

Did that knock out all 4 jets...? The separate soap spray works fine BTW...

Is it easily accessible under the bonnet? (I'll go out and take a look now!)

Reply to
Shevek

Mine did the same the other day. One of the pipes to the jets had blown off. Just pushed it back on and all OK.

Reply to
Sparky

Yes very, you may have to pull back the sound insulation. It slots into the metal work. If it has been leaking it will be sodden with washer fluid!

Reply to
Sparky

Just had a look, and listen and it sounds like the problem is at the other end, the pump fires but it is a very dry sound, as if the water is not even getting that far!

I'm looking at my Haynes right now to see how to get at it...

Reply to
Shevek

blimey, not a job for 9.30 at night then!

Reply to
Shevek

also, after reading the BMW manual properly for the first time (only had the motor 2 months) should I be putting proper BMW Intensive Wash stuff in the other pot or can I just put in any old concentrated screen wash?

Reply to
Shevek

Thanks BTW ! ;-)

Reply to
Shevek

Not sure. Depends on age of car. Mine is 1998 and I use Halfords screenwash with no probs.

Reply to
Sparky

It's a 2000 with a separate pot for "Intensive" wash !?

Reply to
Shevek

Air lock (most likely), suck the s**t out of the bottom of the tank and blocked the pipes / jets, motor blew when it overran in air...

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton