Dension ICE>Link in a 2000 UK E39...?

All, I hope someone can help as I have asked this question at Dension support and got no answer whatsoever.

I am looking at the ice>Link Plus but am getting very confused as to exact comparability and which particular model to purchase.

The Dension site lists all 5 Series '97 to '03 as compatible.

I am looking at buying the item direct from the Apple store but they list 2 models: 17 pin and QuadLock.

Any idea which one I need and will it give me Artist/Title in the head unit display...?

Car spec:

528i E39 Feb 2000 model Business RDS radio / cassette No DSP No SatNav 6 disc changer in boot

TIA!

Reply to
Shevek

I am having problems installing an ice>Link Plus in my 2001 UK E39 M5 and Dension support is non existent :-(

You need to look on your radio (which may be located in the boot) and see what sort of plug is on the back of it.

Also, since your CD changer is in the boot you will probably need the 12 foot extension lead to allow you to mount the iPod in your car (if you wish to do this).

In theory it should display ID3 tags for Artist and Song. For me, it displays them for about 3 seconds at the beginning of the song, but only if I use the buttons beside my Sat Nav screen to change track. If I use the steering wheel buttons to change tracks, I get no ID3 info. Also, when the iPod finished one song and starts to play the next I do NOT get any ID3 info displayed.

This is next to useless for me - I listen mostly to new music, so often want to know what a song is partway through playing it. I do NOT want the iPod on display (ideally I want to keep it in the boot and just treat it in the same way as the CD changer - i.e., I only need to access it when I change the music on it).

Be aware that the wiring is non-trivial (I have sat nav and TV, and it involved removing pins from the Quadlock plug in the wiring harness and replacing them with pins from the Dension harness. As you don't have Sat Nav, you may not need to go through this) and the supplied instructions are worse than useless.

I fear that the ice>Link Plus is not really ready for the consumer market (and in case anybody is about to take me to task for bashing Dension, I am a fan and have 3 of their DH100ix head units in other cars.)

Reply to
Philip K