E36 brake disks advice

Hi there. Just a quick couple of questions for you knowledgeable lot that I would apprecate answers to...

I have been told by the mechanics that my front disks are showing early signs of slight warping and that would probably need to be replaced soon. So, being a resident of the rip-off island, I am looking at the local mechanics charging several limbs for pattern parts. I thought I'd be clever and try to source the parts myself. The car in question is a 1996 318ti compact(E36), not really worth spending too much on and definitelly not driven agressively enough to warrant a "grooved" or "drilled" disks...

Q1) The car has stock solid disks (12mm, I think). Now would I be able to replace these with "vented" (22mm, I think) disks without having to get the bigger calipers too?

Q2) Who makes the original disks for BMW? In other words, what is a good make of disks to be aiming for?

Q3) Anyone able to suggest a good online parts supplier in the UK?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Vlad

Eurocarparts. If no branch close to you, fast mail order. They do OEM parts. I've got ATE discs and pads from them on my E39, and they're fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The simple answer is no.

I'd suggest:-

Solid front discs, Brembo £16 each. (Brembo are a good make IME) Front pad set £15.82 (you may need new wear sensors) £62.06 inc carriage and VAT. Hope this helps. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

You should not need to be told by a mechanic that they are warped (if they really are). Just drive the car and apply the brakes. Warped rotors will result in a pulsation in the braking and would be quite noticeable and annoying.

The rotors are often replaced before they warp, if they wear to below minimum thickness spec. This makes them more prone to warpage due to less material to dissipate the heat of braking. I would not replace the rotors prophylactically for thinness or "possible" warping unless/until the pads need to be replaced.

No, vented disks are significantly thicker and require matching calipers. It would be a major upgrade.

I believe that it was ATE, in most cases. Other good ones are Zimmerman, Brembo, Balo

Can't help you there, sorry.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

They are brake discs.

New discs for your car should run about $50 each for the standard replacements. The pads should run another $50 for the axle-set. This puts the repairs at $150 plus the labor. (All prices are USD). You said that you aren't racing or anything, just get new discs from the local parts store. They will have two or three different discs to choose from, based on price. My theory is that the mid-priced or high-priced parts will have a better warranty than the cheap parts.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks for the very good advice guys!

Both of these online shops are waaaaay cheaper than what I got charged at the garage last time around, _and_ I get to chose the make. Perfect!

Thanks to all that replied... much appreciated.

Reply to
Vlad

I don't know what your mechanical skills are, but replacing brake pads and rotors is a simple job on your BMW.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Used to be good with the spanners before I got scared off by men in clean overalls and laptops. :) It's the lack of tools and working space, more than anything else...

But thanks for the encouragement Jeff !

Reply to
Vlad