window on my coupe

i have 320i coupe 1993 electric window on opening door window should drop down and when closing should go back to original position but this is not happening . I have tried adjusting door lock but no satisfaction . Any clues? :(

Reply to
jaytee

I have a '94 convertible that had the same problem -- the window would not drop then raise again when the door was opened.

The problem was a switch inside the door latch on the offending door.

You can test the door latch with a ratchet extension or other suitible object to simulate the post that the latch strikes. Open the door, then use the ratchet extension to "close" the door against. (You might be able to do this with your finger, but I found that using a tool was the way to go.) Anyhow, raise the window to the top and operate the handle to open the door -- the window should drop about 10mm (it should drop, and I think it goes 10mm, but if it drops at all it drops as far as it should).

Then, using the tool, "close" the door (set the latch as it would be if it was grabbing the post), and the window should raise.

My guess is that the window will not drop, and therefore it won't raise either because it's already at the top. In any case, fiddle with the door latch -- cause it to overtravel a little -- and this should activate the window movement. When you "open" the door, I think you can mess with the latching mechanism a little, and cause the window to move too. If you can fiddle with the latching mechanism and cause the window to drop and raise properly, then there is a switch inside the mechanism that has a sticky linkage.

If you are good at investigating this sort of thing, you will find the switch and be able to clean the linkage. The trouble in my case was not the window or the switch itself, but was the linkage between the switch and the latching mechanism. The linkage operates on one plane to move a part on another plane, and this change in direction (planes of operation) and the pivots needed to support such a design is where the problem is. You can use a shot of contact cleaner followed by a suitable lubricant to free the sticky linkage parts. I messed with thinking the linkage was bent or worn, and played with the idea of reforming it, then it hit me that it was just sticking due to years of corrosion. I dropped some sewing machine oil on the pivot, and viola! There is a small spring that plays an important role in this problem, and the corrosion on the pivot overpowered the spring, affecting the operation of the switch. By operating the latching mechanism with your finger, or tool, you move the mechanism past the point where it moves by itself and this helps the spring operate the switch.

The latch mechanism does a good job of hiding in the door. The door panel has to come off, and there are screws that come out from the inside. I have a Robert Bentley Manual for my E36, and it helped alot to get the latch out.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Hve you checked the fuse, had the same problem

Reply to
Themangood

I fixed my car, maybe yoru question would be betyter asked to the original poster ...

PS The fuse controls the entire window operation, not just the part of the operation that happens when the door is opened or closed AND the window is fully raised.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland
8) tried and tested ur suggestion and worked thanks for information
Reply to
jaytee

Thanks for the update. Glad I could help.

It was the little pivot thingie, wasn't it?

I fussed with mine for quite a while until I realized that the parts moving on the verticle path were not moving the parts on the horizontal path, and the trouble was all in the wrist. I think I eventually took the little spring out and cleaned the post, and it has worked ever since.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland