E36 door jammed

I have a 95 bmw 325 is .. and well the door isnt jammed so to speak .. its the locking mech id say .. everytime i close the door anr reopen it .. the handle sticks and i have to pull quite hard to open it .. its the same on the outside too .. neone elts had this problem? .. or know how to fix it? Thanks

Reply to
Kriznaft

The door latches on my convertible -- doors nearly identical to the coupe -- were dirty, causing the window to not drop and raise as the door was opened and closed.

The trouble was the linkage inside the latch. I opened the latch and cleaned, and used a bit of sandpaper, and was able to get normal operation again.

You didn't say where you live, but cold would play a role in this problem. If the door(s) worked oddly last spring ans summer, then it stands to reason they would not work well at all this winter.

You can monkey around with the latch -- simulate the striker post by using a nutdriver or equivelent -- and see if you can get it to free up. Press the tool into the jaws of the latch, or use your finger if you want, and make the latch lock. give it a shot of spray cleaner and some light oil, and repeat. Operate the door latch to open the jaws, then close the jaws again. There are small parts inside the latch though, and you probably will not be able to get to the switches and thier linkages from the outside.

Perhaps you can get the door handle to cooperate without taking the door apart.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Firstly, lube the door catches with grease.

Reply to
Ed