E39 Windscreen Wipers stopping???

My windscreen wipers are stopping for no apparent reason - usually when I am in the outside lane overtaking in heavy rain. I pull over and they restart after I switch off and restart after a few seconds. Any obvious reason for this?

Reply to
lviren

It's apparently a Government ploy to demonstrate to BMW drivers that they don't actually own the outside lane and need to pull over occasionally to allow mere mortals to pass :-)

Reply to
SteveG

Hi.

Not knowing the year of your 5er does not help much, however, the wipers on the E39 have been plagued with failure, intermittent operation, slow operation (delay), and so on. It is highly probable that this is your problem as well. Some years require that two relays be replaced whilst others only one.

HTH, Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Possibly you are going so fast that the rain sensor stops getting wet, so it decides to switch off. More likely the wipers think the car has stopped.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

At the harness to wiper motor,clean contacts and coat with dielectric compound!

Reply to
Mr. 6 2 U