e46 manuals

Hi, can anyone help me or point me in the right direction with any e46 manuals in pdf or chm format?

============================================================== Posted with Hogwasher. Mac first, Mac only:

Paul Talbert

eBay - All on CD or I'll sell you a set of 3 1 x technical 2 x parts or depending on year 4CD inc WDS (electrics)

Reply to
Oscar

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 21:50:15 +1000, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote (in article ):

Thanks for the offer. I have the cd's but find them confusing :p. Do you know if the Bentley manual is available in electronic form from anywhere? thanks for the help.

============================================================== Posted with Hogwasher. Mac first, Mac only:

Paul Talbert

"Paul Talbert" wrote

Aren't CDs considered an "electronic form"?

Pete

Reply to
Pete

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 08:04:33 +1000, Pete wrote (in article ):

Pete, I believe they are, but I don't think I have said anything to the contrary. I don't particularly like the cd's which Oscar@nowhere... has kindly referred me to and which I already have., and in reply have simply asked whether the 3 series e46 Bentley manual is available in electric form, whether that be on cd/dvd or as a downloadable pdf/chm file. thanks

================================================================ Hogwasher: You don't have to sacrifice friendliness for power

Paul Talbert

The only thing wrong with the CDs is the fact that you cannot sit in front of the left front wheel with your computer!

However the main hurdle is that you are assumed to be a mechanic fully conversant with the BMW mode of working.

If you arrive at a BMW coming from say a FORD or Volkswagen then you are at a disadvantage.

The Bentley manual is only based on the US versions and although helpful to us over this side of the pond there are many differences like the steering wheel being on the wrong side (who ever thought that one out ) and engines that lose about 20% BHP on arrival at the docks?????

Believe me it is much better to have a book than a computer outside. The HBOL is another route (Haynes Book of LIES) but often it seems that the car they are using - although the same model - was built on Mars and all the mechanics are left handed and blind.

Reply to
Oscar

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 17:22:51 +1000, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote (in article ):

Oscar, thanks for the info. I need to persevere with the cd's it seems :) There is a part under my hood (bonnet) which I can't identify and can't find on the cd's. it is driving me crazy. It is on the passenger side behind the firewall and looks somewhat like a battery, but clearly isn't. and is fully sealed... it has what appear to be electrical leads coming from the top area... can anyone help with that description or perhaps I should post a pic... :) In your part of the world it could be on the other side or even under the backseat, perhaps with my missing 20% BHP :) I have never been able to understand why they do that.... perhaps to protect us poor colonials from ourselves :) thanks again :)

============================================================== Posted with Hogwasher. For a free Test Drive click on:

Paul Talbert

You say you have the Cds but you don't appear to have the PARTS CD as this has a graphic search unit. If you know the area and can fathom the cartoon sketches then one the car is identified from the last 7 digits of the VIN it should be easy to pinpoint what you are looking at/for.

Depending on year the WDS is also useful but not available for all models

I will send a picture of the models it covers to your private email

Reply to
Oscar

Why not?

Hmmm -- where can one find/buy these CDs?

-- Fred

Reply to
pltrgyst

I am not certain where you are looking. The space in front of the passenger which is inside the engine compartment is empty on my US E46. The space in front of the driver contains the master cylinder and the housing for the A/C filters.

As for the 20% power loss, engines are tuned differently for different areas of the world. Also, the standards for measurement of horsepower differ.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Sure - you can order the Bentley manual in electronic form FROM BENTLEY, unless you're thinking of stealing it (it is copyrighted, it is someones work and downloading and using it without payment to Robt. Bentley Co. is simple and plain THEFT.)

Reply to
admin

So is using someone else's paperclip - but you wouldn't do that you sanctimonious .........

Reply to
Oscar

So you base what crimes are acceptable by the level of the crime. Interesting outlook on life. Stealing someones livelihood is OK because someone else REUSED a paperclip.. (which actually isn't illegal in any civilized country - most encourage it, it's called recycling.)

See - it's like this. A company like BMW - or Robert Bentley - spend their money, time, effort to create a piece of intellectual property. In return for this - they hope to be able to sell the items for a profit. Instead of this happening - someone like you comes along and illegally copies their intellectual property and offers to sell it for a lot less money. That does away with their incentive to produce and sell this sort of information since they just lost a lot of money due to your illegal act.

In the end - since they no longer see a reason to create something you're going to rip off and sell - we all suffer because the manual, documentation, whatever are no longer available... for any amount of money. That's the way BMW is moving due to people like you - all their documentation is on their internal network and only accessible via a direct computer link to them. They have one public portal where you can access the information via a web-browser for $25/day. Robert Bentley doesn't have that option - or that way to protect their IP - yet, but you can expect to see this same scenario play out, or Bentley to go out of business all because some greedy twerp decided to make a few pounds by stealing their property and reselling it.

And I reuse paperclips all the time - but I don't share copyrighted materials. It's a moral thing.

Reply to
admin

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 23:45:54 +1000, admin wrote (in article ):

I don't think I actually asked anyone to give me anything for free but merely asked if something was available. Thanks for the morality lecture anyway :)

============================================================== Posted with Hogwasher. Mac first, Mac only:

Paul Talbert

You're welcome actually. It seems very few pe> Pete, I believe they are, but I don't think I have said anything to the

The assumption I made is "downloadable" implies - free. If I'm wrong, and you're willing to spend the $99 or so for the Bentley download, I apologize - but most people here want free, even if it is illegal (as are the CD's Oscar is selling.)

I just checked Bentley's site - they offer a "web subscription" on a daily, monthly and yearly basis.. see

for details. Looks like they went to the same scheme BMW did since I see no PDF downloadable versions are available now. Where they used to offer a CD version - that's also no longer an option (obviously due to the actions of people like Oscar.)

Sorry if you wanted to know how to pay for one - I'd suggest visiting the Robert Bentley website and see - you can pay and subscribe to their web-service and use it all in one visit.

Reply to
admin

Boo Hoo. We're not "polite" enough, it seems.

Reply to
dizzy

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 08:13:03 +1000, dizzy wrote (in article ):

I'll make an exception for you.... your email address 'dizzy' matches your mentality..... keep running off at the mouth... I won't be replying or here to see it....

============================================================== Posted with Hogwasher. Mac first, Mac only:

Paul Talbert

Now you hurt my feelings. 8(

Reply to
dizzy

Seems to me like someone really needs to rub one or three out.Morality training from a guy who has trouble controlling his temper? He does realize beating on his lover, man or not, is illegal also. Profanity on the net? Technically....Yep. Have a coke and a smile pal!

Reply to
Don

Why don't you just f*ck off....................

Reply to
Oscar