Flood damage to car engines

It would appear that only lemmings and Mercedes drivers are unable to restrain their instinct to dive into any available body of water.

Reply to
Jack

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 17:40:32 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk waffled on about something:

What a terrible bit of design... I have a ford near me, and drive through it in my E36 when it's a foot deep. It's not like it's over the headlights at that height.

I remember hearing similar horror stories about one of the VW Golfs, I think it might have been the mark 2... Find small puddle, drive in, stop, call recovery.

As for the description of what happens, the fluid lock is the least of your problems, that can be drained out, the big problem is cold water hitting red hot valves, they tend to go "ping" and the heads drop of. If this happens to enough of them that the engine keeps turning, the pistons mash the now very mobile bit of valve up and down, sometimes through the piston crown, sometimes through the head.

Very very messy.

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 19:25:14 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton" waffled on about something:

LOL! You're not kidding.

My brother's Landy has a snorkel. I've been with him when he's gone through over 4 feet of water.... It pours round the doors... Luckily I wasn't daft, I was sitting on the roof rack at the time!

Luckily as they're rather agricultural, cleaning them out is as simple as pulling the mats and seats out, and turning the hose on.

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

Holy shit, this Gordon Brown must be a REAL loser if he makes Bush look intelligent. Who is he and what's his role over there?

Reply to
Psycho

No, he doesn't. And there is no juxtaposition possible that can change that.

A Cuisinart is still *way* more intelligent than Bush...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

Was Chancellor of the Exchequer (keeper of the money and how it is spent - he set the tax etc) now he is the Prime Minister - running the country! God help us. However as Dave says he has kept inflation down and wages down and let loads of other nationalities in to claim from our benefit system drive uninsured on our roads, rape and pillage (took my original job as chief rape and pillager

- I am a Norseman a Viking) so in one respect he has been good for the UK in general but now we are taxed to the hilt and get virtually NOTHING from it. Pot holed roads, double taxation and low wages. the rich get richer the poor get poorer and the middle classes just pay and pay and pay.

Steve

Reply to
steve-caner

Hmm. Add the occasional armed invasion and you've got the Bush-Cheney agenda. Wanna trade?

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

Any day -------- looking at a couple of houses in France (must be better) and one in Spain near Alicante

Reply to
steve-caner

Sounds like old GWB alright. Let the ILLEGAL Mexicans draw on social security and the rest of the social programs that I help to pay for. Oh well, sooner or later the people of our respective countries will once again rise up against their goverments and correct the wrongs that are being done.

Reply to
Psycho