HELP thinking of purchasing a 320i BMW (year 2002) with 194,000 km's on it

Hi everyone -

I just joined this group after a day of car shopping. I've always loved the 3 series BMW but thought they were out of my price range. I saw a beautiful one yesterday (for $15 000), it's an automatic 320i BMW (year 2002) with 194,000 km's on it.

The car is in mint condition inside and out, not a scratch or dent on it. Problem: the dealership does not have any service history on the car (no book). I plan on calling my local BMW dealerships to try to find out (I have the VIN number) if they have done any servicing on that particular vehicle. I really like this car (and can afford it) but don't want to make a big mistake by purchasing a car that is about to break down (194,000 km's). I couldn't afford major repairs. I realize I could buy a bmw with lower mileage but they cost more.

Any advice would be appreciated (ie. very high mileage, suggestion for getting vehicle service history, what type of things go wrong with a car with 194,000 kms...). Thank you. I will check this site often today in the hopes someone can help.

Reply to
Selena

kms...what country are you in?

$15,000 for a used car is a lot of $$$!!

If you really want that car, I guess it should get it. I'd suggest using the $15,000 on a good NEW honda/toyota/subaru or acura/lexus/ infiniti if you want luxury. German cars (bmw, mercedes, audi) have too many reliability problems with the electrical systems. I'd never pay $15k for a used car with 194k kms on it.

Reply to
pheonix1t

Hi-

I failed to mention that the price, $15,000 is in Canadian dollars (I live in BC).

Reply to
Selena

194,000Kms is high for a 2002 - i was in the same position with budget restricting me from going up to a post-2000 325/330, but was able to get a mint 2001 320i for NZ$19K (about $14000 US), 84,000Kms on the clock. i've had it for three months without issue. if its that high Km, that price is way high, i'd shop around more but that's just my opinion.
Reply to
maggot

Yeah, there's a REAL wide selection of NEW cars from those brands for $15k. ESPECIALLY Acure/Lexus/Infiniti.

Idiot.

Reply to
dizzy

the $15k is plenty of money for a honda/toyota or suburu - you moron! Please get a local newspaper and READ IT! For luxury, $15k is a great deposit. If you can't figure that out, you're dumber than you look.

Reply to
pheonix1t

Wrong, idiot.

No need, idiot.

Reply to
dizzy

Well, before buying a used bmw you should try to compare many different ones, don't just stop at the first you see. A 320 is not very rare so probably you can find better ones. Contrary to what people think, 200.000km is way below what a car can do, so if it needs expensive repairs it is not because of the mileage but because of something else (mileage much higher than declared, crashed vehicle, or pure hard luck). I had a 130000km 520i which was 15 years old and still running just fine (just a worn out water pump, not so expensive). Probably the best bet for 15k$ is a '00 car with fewer kms, if you plan to use it for a long long time.

Reply to
X.

This is a nice car, but is past the half-way point on its life journey (194k is way too high mileage for the price and vice versa). If the service records show that the oil, transmission fluid, air filters, a/ c, alternator, radiator (and/or coolant), spark plugs, ignition wiring, and battery have all been changed or repaired during these 194 kms, then I think it won't give you any major headaches. But, I think you could definitely find a better deal than this. Or haggle down to about 9000 to 10500 for this car.

Reply to
noobiedoobie

That's only 121K MILES so its not too OTT. Probably give in the UK about 10K GB pounds for it but US prices are lower

Reply to
Oscar

5 year old 320i with 120k miles - 10k? Surely not.
Reply to
Jeremy

Guy next door to me just paid 6500 for a 1999 520

Reply to
Oscar

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to try to help me out on this purchase. Unfortunately by the time I obtained the service history on the vehicle (had to do some digging as it was serviced at a different dealership) the vehicle was sold. Perhaps it wasn't meant to be. So I will take all the advice I've been given and keep looking for a similar car with lower mileage. Consumer Reports recommends the year 2001 and on for the 3 series BMW...which is why it's been difficult for me to find one within my price range. I'll keep looking and may post again at a later time if I find another one in my price range. Thanks again.

Reply to
Selena

Sounds expensive as well.

Reply to
Jeremy

Pay your money and take your choice - he's happy.

Reply to
Oscar