Thinking of purchasing a Matrix/Vibe

Hey, I am new to this forum and I wanted some info on the Matrix/Vibe. I bought a 2000 Subaru Legacy without doing much research, and basically trusting subaru's reliability. I came to find out they have a VERY severe headgasket issue, usually costing $2000+ to repair. I want to sell this car and I am interested in the utility, fuel economy and most importantly, reliability of Toyota in general. I just wanted to check here to see if there isn't some huge problem with the newer Matrix/Vibe that I don't know about. I am looking at getting a 2003 as that is probably as new as I can afford. Thanks for reading!

Reply to
CanonLaw

"Scion rarely advertises on television, she noted."

Check out Adult Awim on Cartoon Network.

"The tC has sold well mainly by appealing to an older market of baby boomers looking for a sporty weekend runabout."

OOOPS!!!! Guess you missed your Target Market, folks! Oh, did you see who's driving xBoxes, BTW?

But, around here, I'm the only Old Fart driving a tC (that is, out of the THREE of us...)

Reply to
Hachiroku

(Sorry...responded to the wrong thread!)

Reply to
Hachiroku

There are very few inquiries here regarding problems with the Matrix and Vibe, which are based on the Corolla chassis. That may mean that there are very few problems with the Matrix and Vibe, that there are very few Matrix and Vibe's sold (not likely, given the numbers I see on the road), or that Matrix and Vibe owners do not frequent this ng. I suspect that the first is the most likely.

Based on inquiries I've seen here, the most expensive problem I've noted on

2003 vintage Corollas is relatively early failure of O2 sensors and/or catalytic converters, and I believe there is a TSB to correct the problem. BTW, catalytic converters are covered by emissions warranty for 80,000 miles.
Reply to
Ray O

The powertrain on the Matrix has been proven to be quite reliable and economical. They've been using that engine for quite a while now on the Corolla, Celica, and MR2. The automatic seems to be the more economical combination. If you get a Toyota certified used vehicle, they're warrantied through 6 years or 100,000 miles (I believe).

Reply to
Viperkiller

My daughter bought an '05 (I think) Matrix and she's been very happy with it, FWIW. Had to replace the original tires though, which seemed to wear down rather quickly, I thought.

Reply to
mack

I have a '05 Vibe, base model, front wheel drive, 5 speed manual. It sucks in the snow, my old Tercel was better. Other that that it is the best car that I've owned. If you live where there is a lot of snow you may look for a AWD (all Wheel drive) model. I know some one who has a

2003 AWD, and she says that it is great in the snow. She had her husband run a messenger service, and the Vibe is her's for "local" deliveries.

John

Reply to
John Karpich

You do not need AWD. You need winter tires. End of discussion.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

You know, it may be the tires, not the car.

Ex: I hate the tires that come on new Corollas - they are esp. horrendous in snow. I wish one could have a choice of tires that come on new cars, but nope... so after buying a car, I buy new tires before winter.

Cathy

Other that that it is the

Reply to
Cathy F.

Are there any differences between the vibe and matrix, other than cosmetic? Are all the mechanicals (transmission, engine, sunroof, power windows) still made by toyota? Should I get an 03 for a cheaper price, or should I get an 04 or 05? I have heard not to buy the first year of a redesign. Are there any flaws/defects in the 03 that they fix in later models?

Reply to
CanonLaw

The Matrix and the Vibe are mechanically the same. There are some differences in accessories, like audio systems.

If you are looking at a used vehicle, all other things being equal, I recommend that you purchase the newer vehicle rather than an older vehicle.

Reply to
Ray O

Catalytic converters (mine was replaced at about 58,000) and also there was an issue with early factory CD players making horrible grinding noises. I have that problem and didn't take it in to be fixed soon enough to be under warranty. Still, at 106,000 the CD player still works.

Reply to
Pete Moss