M5 Sedan

Is this for sale in the UK with automatic gear box and 4 doors? If so what year was it first available please? jack

Reply to
me9

wrote

Your questions are a little bit off-kilter (to be polite.)

1) The M5 has never - since it's inception in around '85 - been available with an automatic. 2) The 5-series has always been a sedan.

If you don't know those basic facts, you're ... (someone will fill this in with non-flattering words.)

The new M5 - available sometime later this year, will have an SMG that has automatic shift modes. Perhaps that's what you're asking (but it's definitely not apparent from your post.)

Of course, if you were in the US, it will be available with a real manual transmission. ;->

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

All //M5s were manual until the current version which has an SMG gearbox.

If you want an auto I'd suggest an Alpina B10. My fiance has a manual

1990 B10 and it's a great car. Comes in auto as well.
Reply to
John Burns

True.

Not true. There was the M5 E34 Touring. My all time favourite too.

JB

Reply to
JB

"JB" wrote

Well, that's a 5-door. The OP is probably asking the coupe/sedan question. And of course the answer to that is the M6...

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

There are some new M5's in the UK already, I saw two M5's the other day on the A34 near Oxford they appeared to be racing each other.

Reply to
brett

That is the question I was asking and thanks for the answer.

No I have a 535i and fancied a more powerful version of what I have but old enough for me to be able to afford it. The 540 is not a big enough difference to make a change worthwhile. pete

Reply to
me9

So the poster who reckoned somebody would find the words to tell me was himself somebody who needed to be told those words;-) jack

Reply to
me9

Not at all. I was merely asking if a 4 door 'Sedan yes?' version of the M5 was made with an automatic gear box. Your interpretation of what I asked is incorrect so you must be a right (somebody else will fill is the words here) and should keep quiet when unsure. jack

Reply to
me9

Slipped my mind, since it was never imported into the US

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

wrote

If you had (you obviously haven't) been reading here long, you'd know that *SOME* people here are ambivalent on the use of the term "automatic" and "SMG" in the same context.

My interpretation was only possible because of your poor writing skills and/or your failure to include enough context to know to which model or year M5 to which you were referring.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

Reply to
Sharkman540i

Reply to
therip

"Sharkman540i" wrote

Grey market imports. I've never seen one here in Seattle.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

I was merely asking a question and not trying to exhibit any skills in BMW knowledge. Try reading for comprehension. I asked about the UK read my opening post again. jack

Reply to
me9

You know, I was thinking. The 535i has, what 240 HP? The newer

550i - it's actually a 4.8L engine, but BMW is rounding up - has 360 HP and comes with the Steptronic. Have you tried it? Might be a better choice - and far less expensive - than the M5.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

The 4.6/4.8l V8s - E34 B10 4.6 and the E39 B10 V8(4.6)/V8s(4.8) - are "Switchtronic" auto with wheel mounted manual override only. All the sixes except the BiTurbo have an auto option too AFAIK though most are manual.

With 340-375bhp a B10 V8(s) gives a big power hike from a 535i and comes with uprated suspension to help you use it. Many ALPINAs have upgraded interiors with ALPINA detailing which are very plush.

I like my B10 V8 lots. :)

Alistair J Murray

The reason I was asking when/if M5's were first available with an automatic gear box is simply because I have to pick an old one as I cannot afford newer cars. If you had read my OP instead of jumping up and down with your vast knowledge you would have seen that instantly. jack

Reply to
me9

I am begining to like the sound of it too but I cannot find that named car in the UK. What make is it please? jack

Reply to
me9

wrote

I can't imagine your reactions if I had been really sarcastic and unforgiving in my first postings. Get over it.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr