Need to adjust the windshield wiper arms

99-323i The windsheild was replaced, and to do that they removed the wiper arms. When they reattached the wiper arms they didn't set them correctly. After removing the nuts holding the wiper arms to the turning mechanism, what else to you have to do to remove the arms? I have tried to pull them off but they seem to be stuck. Is there a special tool? Do I need to remove other parts?

Any help would be appreciated....

Robert

Reply to
psstzing

I have seen a hammer used!

Call them back to finish the JOB

Sir Hugh of Bognor

hsg

They're on a taper so can stick quite hard. Pull the wiper off the screen so the spring isn't holding things and use a small gear puller to avoid marking things or even a couple of screwdrivers and protect the faces they press on.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As you can see in the first two parts diagrams here:

The hole in the wiper arm is cone shaped and just fits onto a likewise tapered splined shaft. After it has been pressed onto the shaft it can be a bit tough to pop it off.

Reply to
Fred W

They have a splined fitting that is rather tight. The spring load that presses the blade against the glass can cause the arm to become stuck on the shaft. You have to gently press the arm, just before the hinge, toward the glass as you pull the coupling apart with your other hand. You may need to wiggle the arm up and down at the hinge to get the coupling to come loose. When you reassemble, all you do is align the splines as you want the arm positioned and press straight down on the coupling.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Will have to give all of these a try this weekend. Thanks for all the tips/suggestions. Will update with results.....

Reply to
psstzing

AND _ Don't forget to open the hood/bonnet first.

Sir Hugh of Bognor

hsg

Hello snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com,

I had an experience the other year from bad workshop procedures when it comes to windshield replacement. I was driving in the left lane on a Swiss motorway in a blizzard with the wipers operating, when suddenly the right one got loose and sort of collided with the right one and made it all into a mess. I was lucky to reach the right shoulder undamaged and I could fix it provisionally

- the arm should be fitted with a torque of 35 kpm as written under the windshield, a fact that the glass workshop obviously did not attend to...

I obviously did not have any problem to remove the wiper arms...

Reply to
GunnarH