OBD II Codes

I have a P1188 and a P0170 code which seem to be related to fuel metering (Bank 1). What do I need to look for? This is a 98 528i.

Reply to
Mark Evert

You don't say the mileage, but it could be as simple as an oxygen sensor being out of range (P1188). P0170 is for fuel trim. this can also be caused by an failing O2 sensor, but also can be the result of either a vacuum leak or bad injector. It depends on if the system is measuring too much or not enough air in the mix. I'd rule out the air filter as that would effect both banks, not just bank 1.

Kyle.

98 740iL 97 M3
Reply to
Kyle and Lori Greene

The 528 only has Bank 1.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

When I got that message on my 540i, it turned out to be the Mass Air Flow Sensor. It could, however, be quite a few other things causing the fuel mixture (trim) to be incorrect for a given set of circumstances.

Tim/

Reply to
Tim H

Uhhh... no.

Incorrect.

The E39/528 and all other M5x based engines have two banks. There is a split exhaust manifold on these engines. 1-3 in the front (bank-1) and

4-6 in the back (bank-2).

Been that way since OBDC-II was started in '96 on all 6 cylinder BMWs.

Reply to
Don

I wasn't aware of that. I get what they did, I just didn't know they did it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland