Oil service 2002 e46

It's the first time changing the oil on my 2002 e46, besides the large "O" ring on the housing base, and the washer for the drain plug, my Bentley say there are two small "O" rings on the filter housing cover unit. Do these need to be replaced?

Thanks, Joe

Reply to
Joe C

"Joe C" wrote

You don't say what engine you have, but I believe that the manual you have is incorrect. Both 2.5l & 30l engines have only an o-ring. The new canister design doesn't have the smaller o-rings that the older M50 (& M52?) did. (My guess is that the 2.0l engine not available in the US is identical in this regard.)

FloydR '01 330xi

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Yes, sorry for the important omission, I have the 2.5l. The "mann" filter kit I purchased came with the large rubber "O" ring and the metal washer for the drain plug.

Thanks again, Joe

Reply to
Joe C

That's all there is. Remove the filter housing cap (36mm socket or wrench). It will retain the filter as you remove it from the housing. R&R o-ring (a thin-edged tool helps ... or long fingernails). R&R filter. Replace cover and torque to spec.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

As is often the case here, the other responses you got are incorrect,

You are referring to the small "cheeri-o" O-rings on the center post of the filter housing, about 3/8" OD

The 2 O-rings are part 11-42-1-744-01, They "should" be replaced with a filter service, but they are pretty much ignored by the dealers, maybe because they rarely have them in stock.

Reply to
spare-me-spam

Yes. They come with the filter.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Sorry, that "yes" isn't as emphatic as it sounded.

The filter comes with all of the o-rings and washers that are required.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I can't address what they may or may not have in stock, but the filter contains all of the o-rings and washers that are required for my car. If the dealer has the filter, they have the washers and o-rings because these small parts come with the filter.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Sorry I can't do for you what I do at the dealer parts department after they tell me the O-Rings are in the filter kit.

Which is to open it up, empty it out, ask them to find the 744-01 O-rings, which of course they can't since they are not in there. then watch the part guys go open box after box, looking for them. Great entertainment. When I order 'em, I order extras.

Perhaps the key word is what is "required" for a filter change...since all you "really" need is the filter.

But, per BMW procedures, BOTH the large single, and the two small O-rings, should be replaced, along with the drain fitting washer.

Just because they aren't there, and just because they last forever anyway, doesn't mean it ain't part of the procedure.

| > You are referring to the small "cheeri-o" O-rings on the center post of | > the filter housing, about 3/8" OD | >

| > The 2 O-rings are part 11-42-1-744-01, They "should" be replaced with a | > filter service, but they are pretty much ignored by the dealers, maybe | > because they rarely have them in stock. | >

Reply to
spare-me-spam

The filter that I buy comes with all of the o-rings and washers that are required. Maybe I am doing the right thing by NOT buying my filters from the dealership. I've bought several different brands of filters in the years that I've owned my BMW, and I've never had to get any of the o-rings or washers in a separate transaction. I just buy a filter and all of the stuff I need is in there.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Here is the definitive look at your filter:

Item #5 is what you are looking for, and "spare-me" gave you the right part number (11421744001) above. Note that the Filter Kit (item #2) includes the big o-ring and filter element only. However, when buying this same filter from OE suppliers you will *usually* get the little o-rings, as well as the big one and drain plug washer.

I try to stick with the Mann filters myself...

Reply to
Malt_Hound

I bought the Mann, no little O-rings.

Reply to