Timing chain slipped

Hi All, I have a 318ci year 2002 with 45000 mile up.I have just got a repair bill for 5500.00 euro to fix the engine . The problem has being caused by the timing chain which skipped a number of places.OR SO I HAVE BEING TOLD Has anyone else suffered this problem ?

Reply to
BKING

sounds like a warranty claim to me... 3 years old, 45k on the clock?

snipped-for-privacy@EIRCOM-dot-NET.no-spam.>Hi All,

Reply to
keith

For a chain to slip (jump teeth) it would have to be SO slack that there must be another more serious problem somewhere - Like a faulty chain, adjuster (if any) not done up by BMW (unlikely) etc etc...

Wot he said - Warranty ?

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

i dont know that engine but i thought that BMW put belts in all the newer *vanilla* engines.. ie not the S series..

Reply to
keith

Don't know where you've been, but BMW went back to chains starting in '90 with the M50, and no current engine since then has had a belt - that includes all V8's, I6's, I4's (not sure about diesels, but I'd be surprised if they were belts.)

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

ive clearly not been stripping down BMW heads.. :) I stand corrected, thanks Floyd.

keith

Reply to
keith

"fbloogyudsr" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

The I6 diesels never had -fortunately- a timing belt.

I never heard of a slipping timing chain. So the OP was given a a kick or a run or smething like this.... Easy earned money, I guess....

Jürgen

Reply to
Jürgen Schrader
1 year warranty in Europe (well 2 in the UK).
Reply to
marlinspike

It can happen, but the chain would have been *very* noisy for some time before this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

(not sure about

The 324 TD and 524 TD diesels from late 80`had timing belts since then all Diesels (4 and 6 cyl) have chains - fortunately

Reply to
ena