Parking Light on Center Console for Gear Shifter

I have an 1998 528i with an automatic transmission.

After the car is turned off, the gear shifter Parking LED stays lit sometimes and sometimes it goes out. Does anyone know what activatess this light? Is there something I am doing? Traction Control?

I have tried shutting the car off in neutral and shifting to park just to see, but the light goes from neutral to park and stays lit. I am just wondering, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Simich

It stays on for 17 minutes - which is the power up time of all the computer modules on the car...

If you go away and come back in 30 minutes - and look through the window (opening the door activates things again..) the light will be off.

Reply to
admin

You'd think there would be a note in the handbook about it. I wonder how many other drivers have been concerned about it. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G