Radio Help Needed

I have an E36 with the standard anti-theft radio. It says CODE on the display, and apparently my wife and child attempted several inputs, and now the radio will not reset even when the correct code is input.

I have two different radios with the same trouble. (this is my second E36, and I kept the radio and owner's manual set from the first car, and this is what is now installed in the second car.)

What the problem is ... Even though I input the correct code, the radio(s) is convinced that it is stolen. How do I retrain the radio that it is not stolen so that I can input the correct code and get the radio working again? (I have two radios, and two Code Cards, so I know the correct code for each unit.)

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks. It is fixed.

I set the key to ACC (position I on the ignition switch) and left it like that for a while. I was able to input the code key and that restored the radio.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I was just about to post the "freezer fix". Don;t know if it actually works of if its an urban myth. Anyone else?

Reply to
TonyK

If the radio code has been entered more than 5 times the radio becomes useless until the code chip has been replaced.The radio code is probably indorrect. How old is the radio? With the Phillips radios you can pick up the serial number by turning on the ignition and holding the TP button down for 10 seconds. The radio will come on and the serial number will be displayed.You can then contact the dealer to obtain the correct code.

Clive B

Reply to
Clive Bagg

I have the correct code for both of my radios, the trouble is that the people that were in the car when it displayed CODE did not know what to do, so they attempted the hit-or-miss method several times and now the radios are convinced they are stolen and they refuse to accept the correct CODE input.

It turns out that the radio need only be connected properly and the Ignition set to I for an hour or so. The radio sees the constant power as an attempt to correct the theft situation, and it agrees to accept additional CODE inputs.

My radios are the Alpine (?) variety. (Both are the same.)

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Connect the radio normally and set the Ignition to position I for about an hour. (It could take less time, but that's about how long before I looked to see if it would accpet the correct code.)

Reply to
Jeff Strickland