Recommended: Tyre Sizes and Pressure values for E39 skid

You ain't gettin it, Jeff. This is n't somethin that we're making up. It's more like this:

|\/\/\/\/| |/\/\/\/\| |/\/\/\/\/\/\/| |\/\/\/\/| |\/\/\/\/\/\/\| |/\/\/\/\|

get it?

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

[...]

...at any given tyre pressure - it's the air that bears the load.

Lowering the pressure lets the tyre flatten more increasing the area of the contact patch, and vice versa.

My B10's 265/35 R18s at 3.0 bar actually have smaller contact patches than the narrower tyres fitted as standard to a 523 running at lower pressures.

The extra grip is down to the tyres generating bigger slip-angles due to the shape of the contact patch (plus stiffer sidewalls, sticky compound (with OE Michelin Pilot Sports or similar), progressive rate springs and twin-tube dampers tuned for the wheel/tyre combo).

Alistair J Murray