Speedometer faulty

Hi

My speedometer stopped working; and at the same time the window wiper stopped working at regular speed mode. (Only intermittant and full speed are now functioning.) I have checked the fuses.

My question is: Could these problems be linked together?

I hope anyone could advice on how to fix this.

Reply to
Johnny Dahlmo

Beside the obvious since this is a BMW forum, what year and model are you talking about?

Reply to
Kyle and Lori Greene

"Kyle and Lori Greene" skrev i melding news:ghzEe.23462$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...

Oops.. '89 BMW 520 (E34)

Reply to
Johnny Dahlmo

I suspect the connection to the speed sensor on the differential is dodgy. The speed signal is used as an input to the wiper controller.

Reply to
John Burns

In normal speed wiper position, they go intermitant when you are stopped (ie speedo reading less than about 5 mph) so I would say the problems are linked and it is the faulty speedo that is causing it. On E34 it is normally a bad earth in the cluster or nearby cabling (try banging around the dash while driving). If you have to replace the whole cluster, there are two different ones - one speedo goes to 240 (probably yours) and later one goes to 260 kph (or mph equivalent) - they're not interchangable.

Steve

Reply to
Tbird-Steve

"John Burns" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@unixnerd.demon.co.uk...

Thank You for the tip.

Now it works. Both wiper and speedometer. I checked the connectors on the differential and they were bad. I fixed them, and now everything works fine!

Reply to
Johnny Dahlmo