700R4 question in non computer vehicle...

I deleted/bypassed the computer on my '83 Z-28 (running non computer HEI)...... What do I need to do about the 700R4tranny? I think I need some kind of lockup converter wiring harness that runs 12v to the tranny?????? Is the converter not locking up? Or does this just effect the overdrive? It shifts funny, its like it just glides into gear and it smells like something is burning, like a burning clutch or band smell...... it is supposed to have a shift kit and small stall converter in it (2600 or 2800), but you coudn't tell that by the way it shifts into gears, no "bang" or hard shift.... You have to pull it down in first or it takes off in 2nd or 3rd gear. and when you do pull it down in 1st it feels like it glides into 3rd gear or overdrive, skipping 2nd gear.... Anyone been down this road?

~John King Winchester, Va.

1983 Z-28 (4-sale) 1984 Z-28 1994 Z-28
John King

See the guys at bowtie overdrives.

I have a 1966 nova SS with a 700r4 and a bowtie overdrives lock up switch and TV system. The performance is awesome and it will lay down 10 feet of rubber on the one-two shift!!! Everything they sell is top notch and hooks up easily. No need for any computer on this stuff!

Reply to
z289sec