OT Post

Sounds good, but beware of online companies...I had put down a $315 deposit at

they had quoted me a low price but then their phones were disconnected, their FAX number stopped working, and their web page was taken off the web. I had to have my credit card company go after them to get my deposit back.

Terry M.

Reply to
Terry

Hey Terry,

Thanks for the advice. I'm assuming since they are affliated with FedEx, that they will be a reputable company. I guess you never know, but that is my initial feeling.

Did you get your car yet? What's the status? Take care.

terrance

Reply to
terrance

Camaro arrived today! I'm satisfied in general, though there were some minor things the seller did not mention-- my fault I suppose for not asking the right questions, and for not flying out to VA to inspect the car in person before buying. Body is excellent, which is most important to me, since I'm not a bodyman. The original 327 is still in the car, runs ok but I know I'll be itching to swap in a new small block with a 4 speed...

Terry

Reply to
Terry

Well I guess overall everything went ok then. Glad to hear. What small block are you considering putting in the car? The nova I'm getting only has a 307 in it, and I plan on switching it out too. Seems like lots of people are going with the gm crate motors. I've seen a few guys on ebay that have machine shops that seem to sell lots of small block chevy's with very good feedback. Just curious which route you were considering.

terrance

Reply to
terrance

Well that's a very good question...this car is so original, I think the best way to go is to rebuild the 327 that is in the car. It had one rebuild in the 1980s, so I would imagine that it could be rebuilt one more time. A crate motor would be a lot of fun, they are really not that expensive unless you want a high hp rating. But how many camaros are on the street with the original engine in them-- not many! I'm going to drive the car this spring/summer, see how the engine hold up-- Happy New Year! Terry

Reply to
Terry

Hey Terry:

Happy New Year to you also. Hope you had a wonderful holiday season. You know it's always surprised me that in my search for a motor for my Nova, seems GM and everyone else is doing builds with the 350 block. I've always wondered why no one was doing anything with the 327. Aren't they the same block, but with a different stroke? Is it just more cost effective to do a

350 rather than a 327? It seems in the late 60's a 327 or even a 302 was more sought after than a 350. Anyway, glad to hear you're going to rebuild the 327. I'm sure that will be fun. I'm in the process of building a home, so it will be a while before I put a motor in the Nova, but I'm still having fun looking! Take care and keep in touch.

terrance

Reply to
terrance

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 16:15:14 -0500, "terrance" puked:

My experience is that the 327 is just as inexpensive to work on as a

350, with the added benefit of not being 'another 350'. I have one in my Elky...

lab~rat

To me, the 327 has the nostalgia value...it was my favorite small block back in the '70s. The 327/295hp engine in a camaro w/ a 4 speed is a fantastic combination, in my opinion. I'm going to drive the 327 that is now in my car for a driving season (April-October here in Wisconsin), see how it responds to a few thousand miles of cruising. The more I think about it, I'm fairly certain I'll eventually rebuild this engine-- after all, how many first gen Camaros still have the original engine in them??

Terry

Reply to
Terry

That's why I posed the question: if it's just as cheap to work on and it certainly has the nostalgia to go along with it, I wonder why GM doesn't offer a 327 crate motor? Even GM is aware of how sought after and popular older camaros are so it would just make sense to offer this option to me. I just saw where GM is going to possibly build a new camaro. Although I've just seen one pic, the front end is hideous. Hopefully they will make it much more like the original if and when it's produced.

terrance

Reply to
terrance

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 14:15:27 -0600, "Terry" puked:

Right. Mine has the 202 heads. I put some headers on it and it's a torquey little monster. Reliable and fun to drive ahead of the manual three speed...

lab~rat

Well, that's an idea, since this 327 only has 4-5K on it (since 1987) according to the prior owner, perhaps I could just put a new set of heads on it, would the 202 heads be a good choice? I just put a new q-jet on it, it has an Edelbrock intake. Has older headers, could use an exhaust update--

BTW Yes I've seen the '09 Camaro prototype, it's an interesting car but the front grille looks like a new Cadillac! There's lots of discussion of this going on at

where I hang out....Terry M.

Reply to
Terry

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 19:10:23 -0600, "Terry" puked:

I'm sure there are dozens of newer heads that would be better performers, but the camel humps have a nostalgic value to me.

My car isn't numbers matching or anything, but that's really why I bought it. It was cheap and I wouldn't feel guilty for modding it. I am happy with those heads, though. The Elky is more fun to drive than my 2000 SS (auto)...

lab~rat