ignition/acc wire

I own a 2005 ram 1500. I am trying to install a device that requires me to tap into the ignition/acc wire, does anyone know which wire that is? there is a big red wire comming out of the stering colum, is that it?

thanks, Ian

Reply to
ifurlong

The big red one is LIKELY the power feed to the ignition switch. (might have 2) usually the switche accessory is orange or Yellow, but it's been a while since I looked at that part of a Mopar.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

The following wire colors should be correct for your truck but check them with a meter before making any connections. The big red one is a 40 amp power wire that is always on. There are three ignition wires, a pink wire with a white stripe, a pink with a light green stripe, and a dark blue one. There are two accessory wires, both are pink with a yellow stripe, one is 14 awg and the other is 16 awg. The ignition wires are live in the run and start keyswitch position. The accessory wires are live in the run and accessory positions. If you are hooking up a gauge or something that is only needed while the engine is running use the ignition wires. If you are hooking up some stereo equipment or something that you would like to have powered without the engine running use the accessory wires.

Reply to
Nosey