wheel bearings

I've just bought a 1993 1.8 eunos roadster and after a week it's started to develop a bit of a rumble. I'm pretty sure it's the wheel bearings, as the previous owner had it sitting around un-used for ages. It gets louder when cornering in one direction, and there's also a bit of a click click click.

Are there any differences between the wheel bearings on a eunos/mx-5/miata? I've been told that there are from my local garage but I'd be surprised if that were the case.

Can they be greased again, or do I need to replace them?

Thanks in advance for the advice, Gav.

btw still a cracking car though. Loads of fun even though I'm having initial teething problems. Hope to have it up and running properly for the all to short british summer :0)

Reply to
BlokeDownPub

Congrats!

Yup, that's definitely a wheel bearing.

I'd be surprised as well -- but I don't really know.

In my experience, once they start to make noise like that, they have to be replaced.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

There are two different types of front bearing, which incidentally are machined directly into the hub assembly. The types are those with toothed wheels for cars with ABS and those without.

For the rear the bearings are replaceable separately from the hubs, instructions can be found in any of the manuals available for the MX-5

Good Luck

eunos/mx-5/miata?

Reply to
ralph cooke

Does this mean that the fronts must be replaced with the hubs?

-- Tonyrama Crystal White '93 A

Reply to
tonyrama

The front wheel bearings can be pressed or driven out of the hub. There is no need to replace the hub unless it is damaged. Front wheel bearings are typically of two different sizes, the inner being larger than the outer. They are generally trouble free. "Ralph Cooke" post that the bearings are machined directly into the hub is in error.

Chas Hurst

Reply to
Chas Hurst