1998 Chevy Astro Alternator

Alternator has gone bad on my Astro, anyone have any hints on doing it myself? Looks like a tight fit. Any comments would be helpful.

RC

Reply to
rcano

Disconnect yer battery-then start wading thru the junk to access yer alternator. If the label showing the routing of the serpentine belt is missing-get a pen and paper and sketch out the routing. Yer gonna need to release the belt tensioner eventually anyway. Flat rate time is under an hour for this operation for an experienced tech-so do not feel bad if it takes you a couple hours. Hang in there.

Respectfully submitted,

Loren Knighton Woodland, CA.

Under the hood since 1964 Member TRNI IATN

BACKNCARDR

I just did this on my 92 astro at 143k miles. not bad, just time consuming. like you said a tight fit.

as someone recommended here,

remove: disconnect a battery cable air cleaner assy interior engine cover loosen serpintine belt

3 bolts on alt wires to alt
Reply to
Baboo

Replaced the alternator tonight, not as bad as I thought it would be.

Thanks for the input gentlemen!!

RC

Reply to
rcano