2000 Chevy Silverado......tranny problem....help!

I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado, v-6, 171,000 miles, automatic. Tranny works fine for about 20 minutes and then starts to shift really fast
and hard. When I shut it off for a minute or two, it works as if nothing happened.
Any ideas on what the problem may be?
Thanks,
Hank
|I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado, v-6, 171,000 miles, automatic. Tranny | works fine for about 20 minutes and then starts to shift really fast | and hard. When I shut it off for a minute or two, it works as if | nothing happened. | | Any ideas on what the problem may be? | | | Thanks, | | | Hank |
Hank:
I place my bet on the 1-2 shift solenoid or the 3-4 shift solenoid OR BOTH of them. They are known to go bad after some peroid of time and I've issued a bunch of them to technicians. Thermal runaway is the culprit. After the solenoids reach operating temperature, the wire coil in the solenoid shorts out and causes the solenoid to engage even though it shouldn't. (My best guess).
If you're gonna try to fix it yourself, this is the least expensive parts replacement that you can try. Be sure to change the filter while you're there since you'll need to R & R the pan to replace the solenoid(s).
Both the 1-2 and 3-4 solenoids are the same part number so you could just buy one and try it in the 1-2 spot first and then remove the pan a second time if a test drive determines the problem still isn't fixed.
Good Luck!
--
Steve Spence
Independent AMSOIL Dealer

I might be wrong, but there might be a TSB on that trouble. I heard on our local " Car Care ' radio program, that a overpressure relay, goes nuts, and resets when you shut off and restart. I think its inside the vavle assembly, and you have to drop the pan to get at it. I might even be on a different vehicle, but its only my two cents worth! .

I might be wrong, but there might be a TSB on that trouble. I heard on our local " Car Care ' radio program, that a overpressure relay, goes nuts, and resets when you shut off and restart. I think its inside the vavle assembly, and you have to drop the pan to get at it. I might even be on a different vehicle, but its only my two cents worth! .
I found the link below, but it doesn't describe exactly what the OP is complaining about, but it's close
http://www.aboutautomobile.com/TSB/2000/Chevrolet/Chevrolet+Truck
--
Steve Spence
Independent AMSOIL Dealer

To All,
Thanks for the advice and link. I think I am going to change the fluid/ filter, modulator valve and the shift solenoids. I'll let you know how it turns out at a later date.
Hank <~~~don't know trannies
Hustlin' Hank wrote:

No modulator! When you get the pricing on the shift solenoids you'll probably change your mind about that too. I believe there is a TSB on a problem similar if not exactly like your. I'll look and see and get back to you.
nobody #1
wrote: | > | >> I might be wrong, but there might be a TSB on that trouble. I heard on | >> our local " Car ?Care ' radio program, | >> that a overpressure relay, goes nuts, and resets when you shut off and | >> restart. ?I think its inside the vavle assembly, and you | >> have to drop the pan to get at it. I might even be on a different | >> vehicle, but its only my two cents worth! ?. | >> | >> I found the link below, but it doesn't describe exactly what the OP is | >> complaining about, but it's close | >> | >> http://www.aboutautomobile.com/TSB/2000/Chevrolet/Chevrolet+Truck | >> | >> -- | >> Steve Spence | > | > | > | > To All, | > | > Thanks for the advice and link. I think I am going to change the fluid/ | > filter, modulator valve and the shift solenoids. I'll let you know how | > it turns out at a later date. | > | > Hank <~~~don't know trannies | | | | No modulator! When you get the pricing on the shift solenoids you'll | probably change your mind about that too. I believe there is a TSB on a | problem similar if not exactly like your. I'll look and see and get back | to you. | | | nobody #1
The TSB is already posted for his vehicle - see the link above.
The AC-Delco part number for the 1-2, 3-4, or 3-2 shift solenoid is 214-1878 and has a price of $28.50 each through an AC-Delco parts store. Since they are all three the same and only one of them is likely acting up (if the TSB doesn't fix it), only one needs to be purchased - but the pan might have to come off multiple times to find the one that is causing the problem - might be 8 - 10 quarts of wasted ATF unless it can be captured and reused.
Please see: www.acdelco.com and look up the parts for yourself.
--
Steve Spence
Independent AMSOIL Dealer
Steve wrote:

There is another TSB I see frequently about a loss of power to the instrument cluster and transmission. Shift solenoids can usually be checked with an ohm meter.
nobody #1