9-3 order of components on exhaust pipe?

Hi all,

Just had a long stretch of exhaust pipe replaced on a 1999 9-3 (turbo), and the repair shop claimed that they have indeed replaced the catalytic converter as part of the job. Judging from the condition of the various components on the pipe, I cannot see how this is so. We have, in order leaving the engine:

  1. Turbo (replaced)
  2. ribbed box (not replaced)
  3. about 20 cm (8 inches) of cylinder made of wire braid (replaced)
  4. another box, not ribbed, but looking suspiciously like a muffler/silencer (replaced)
  5. a ribbed box again (replaced)

Which of 2, 3, or 4 is the catalytic converter? I always thought that 2 would be the cat, but if the workshop is telling the truth, then it is item 3. Just that item 3 doesn't look like a cat to me . . .

Tnx for all help on this slightly silly question.

/Robert

Reply to
Robert Brown

AFAIK the first 'box', your item [2] is the cat.

Did they explicitly state that they diagnosed a blocked cat?

Reply to
Grunff

----8

Yes they did, so I will be checking with them again tomorrow.

Strange, since the only piece not replaced is the cat itself. And I also notice that the car goes like a Saturn V on steroids (very quick now).

So I wonder if they simply gutted the cat and bolted on a new exhaust/silencer assembly? Maybe I should take the car in to our MOT (bilprovningen) for an emissions check. That would reveal all . . .

I'll get back to you with further developments. Methinks somehow that this story is not finished yet.

/Robert

Reply to
Robert Brown

Hi,

if i were you i would surely sort that out, cats tend to be kinda pricey, you dont want the shop ripping you off , do you ? have an emission test done that shouldnt be all that expensive and it will tell you whether or not you have a working cat.

bye

simon

Reply to
Simon Putz

Possible, but that would be *extremely* dishonest...

Please do. An emission test will reveal a lot.

Reply to
Grunff

exhaust/silencer

Hi again,

I confirmed with the mechanic today that it was in fact a piece of the front silencer that had broken off internally, blocking the exhaust path. That's why the original cat was left on the car, and everything aft of it was replaced.

Saab also ran emission tests with both a new cat and the original one and claim they got the same emission values.

As I do no longer trust this particular dealer/repair shop as much as I used to, I will probably take the car to the testers to verify the emission levels myself.

In the meantime, the car's running fine again, and that's the most important thing.

Thanks to all for your advice!

/Robert

Reply to
Robert Brown