wrong steering wheel

Change the whole column to a 74....................there will be wiring issues. But that would be as easy or easier to resolve.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Hmm.... I did the reverse of what you did: I replaced the original

2-spoke wheel on my 1971 SB with a 72-3 style with no issues.

The 74 or 75 up wheels used a somewhat different sized spline and had a foam/sponge covered rim - is this what you have now? Maybe your column was changed in the past.

Based on my personal experience and from what I have read, you should not have any problems "retrograding" to the earlier 2 spoke wheel. More investigation in needed.

=================================

" ..... I ain't no bandleader!!"

Reply to
Jack Woltz

last I checked a 72 steering wheel was the same as a 73+... I thought the 71 was an odd ball (don't recall why)... the foam wheel was a special thing that only came on some models I believe...

Reply to
VWGirl

Hi All In my 72 SB I have a stock steering wheel of the type: see number 16 in

A couple of days ago I got a steering wheel in very good condition at the junkyard (see number 15 in previous picture) but I cannot fit it, it needs a narrower steering column. Is it possible to find steering wheel adaptors? are there many different steering wheel sizes?

thank Ant

Reply to
Ant

I think the smaller spline / foam rimmed wheels were used on convertibles only, but not sure, 74 or 75 up. I think the 72-77 sedan wheels were the same, but again not sure.

The 71 back wheels were the older 2 spoke design.

=================================

" ..... I ain't no bandleader!!"

Reply to
Jack Woltz

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 18:40:58 -0400 (EDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jack Woltz) ran around screaming and yelling:

the splines also changed in either late 73 or for 74 for the standards also...i found out when i tried to put an aftermarket steering wheel out of a 72 into my 74 sedan...didn't fit... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

i thought it was verts only too... but someone told me recently that they were not... i dont know, i know 71 was like the older 2 spoke, but i read somewhere that it was a one year only something or another about the wheel...

Reply to
VWGirl

I believe it was 74

Reply to
VWGirl

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:45:26 -0400, "VWGirl" ran around screaming and yelling:

that is what i *think* too...however i have been told by at least one other person that is was "late 73"...so i can't speak with complete certainty....but I *do* know tht damn afermarket steering wheel off my

72 was *not* going on that 74....LOL J
Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I re-read your original post tonight, because of the additional posts...............I misunderstood I think.

You want to put the older style wheel on the newer car and the steering shaft is too small.

Knowing that I went the wrong way with my suggestion.

Put a 71 column in your 72 and the wiring mods won't be too bad after all