454 chevy question

I have an '88 motorhome with a 454 in it. The engine is carbureted (probably about the last of the carbureted engines, I guess).

I live on the East coast. When we head out West, the m/h starts losing power out around NM, because of altitude increases. In the mountains, it is very noticeable.

The problem isn't very serious. All it does is slow us down. We make it fine over the highest passes, albeit slowly.

A number of people install Banks performance packages. These will run somewhere around $3k to have put in. I just don't have that kind of money to spend on this problem.

I was thinking about maybe putting in standard exhaust headers, a mid range cam, and an improved breather setup. If all this can be done for $1500 or so, I would consider going this route.

Can a shop put a cam in without having to pull the engine? Same question for the headers.

who are some of the cam suppliers that would have a good one for this purpose?

Thoughts/comments solicited

Reply to
RB

the last carb'd engine went away in '91 actually.

in a normally aspirated engine, this can't be avoided. the air literally is thinner. (less oxygen, less fuel can be burned). turbo-charged vehicles are the least affected by high altitude, superchargers are somewhere in between.

I sincerely doubt you'll be able to have a shop put on headers, install a cam and cold air intake for your budget. headers can be a royal PITA to put on, assuming you can even find ones that will fit your RV. not knowing how your RV is setup, it'd say it'd be easier to pull the engine, than remove everything that would be in the way of physically removing the camshaft. in a pickup you'd have to remove the (i'm purposefully leaving out engine components) radiator, radiator support, inner and outer fenders, grille and possibly the front bumper to get enough room to get the cam out.

cam: most likely no, headers alot of the time can't be put on with the engine pulled, you'd never get the engine back in.

Crane Cams, Edelbrock, or Comp Cams should all have a "RV" or "4X4" cam that will suit you.

HTH, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

in-in-line

you lose 3% of your available oxygen per 1000 feet

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

total. Seems to me you can get the headers and cam done for$1500. You have to pull the radiator, ac condensor, grill, anything in the front of the engine to change the cam. The engine doesnt have to be pulled in most situations. Why not just start with the headers and see how it performs? The headers should be relativly easy on a van(class C) or class A motorhome. GL

Reply to
Scott M