6.5L Turbo dead?

My 6.5 has a problem. I bought it with 180K miles on it and now it has

230K. Today, I noticed a general lack of power and a great deal of black smoke when I drove over 50 MPH, and it just doesn't sound right. I didn't really notice at first but, when I listened to the engine, I failed to hear the familiar sound of the turbo running. I had heard that the turbo unit were good for about 100K miles or so and I do not know if the one that is on there now is the original or not (probably not). Based on the sounds and the performance issue, I believe that the turbo is dead.

I have not checked the codes lately but there was no 'check engine' or 'service engine' idiot light when I was driving.

What is the best way to check the turbo unit and is this sound like I'm on the right track?

Thanks,

Chip

Reply to
Chip

Take the intake plumbing off the compressor end and see if it spins freely. If it does, see if the exhaust wastegate is stuck open on a '93 and older. If it's newer than that and isn't making boost, I would think it should have set a code. The '93 and older turbos were boost limited with a wastegate blown open by exh. pressure before the turbine. No electronics at all. The black smoke is an indication that is isn't making boost, though. Mine's a '93.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
gfulton

How about the fuel filter?

Reply to
Ihatespam

I removed the inlet plumbing from the air filter and it really sucks. It sucks the air in and turns freely. I started it with the pipes off and the sucker really runs. So, it does seem to work just fine. I thaought about the wastegate problem because I did cave a code related to the wastegate (78, i think) but that was a little while ago and I forgot about it, and the engine was running fine at that time. I figured that the wastegate was stuck closed. It did not occur to me that the wastegate is stuck open, and if I'm thinking right, there would not be enough air making it to the engine.

I'm going to take it to the mechanic next week. I was just hoping that it was not the turbo.

Chip

Reply to
Chip