Towing ability for Legacy/Outback question

The tow rating for most Legacy/Outback is 2000 lbs. Are they able to tow small campers? I have a popup I have towed with a Dodge Caravan (3.0 liter) with no trouble. This Caravan is rated at 2000 lbs. also. Any information appreciated.

Reply to
snow

Edward Hayes

The towing capacity for the 04 model Outbacks is 1500 kg (3300lbs) for the

2.5 litre and 1800 kg (3960lbs) for the 3.0. These figures are for a braked trailer.

phil

Reply to
Phil

In my opinion, the best single point source for tow ratings is the Trailer Life tow ratings guide. See

However they don't get into as much detail on Subaru's as you might like. I could not find the reference, but I do recall the Subaru suggests towing with the AT rather then the MT

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Tow ratings seem to vary wildly from country to country for the exact same car. Here in New Zealand (and I think Australia) the Legacy has a rating of 500 kg unbraked, 1500 kg (3300lb) braked, just like most other cars I've looked at (admittedly all 2l or more).

These are safety-based ratings involving the ability to stop and maybe the ability to not get pushed off the road on downhill corners. Engine power and transmission ruggedness are nothing to do with the rating.

As a practical matter, I find that 1500 kg in a compact form (e.g. a load of cement) is no problem at all, but I don't think I'd want to tow something with a lot of front area such as a caravan for long distances.

My rule-of-thumb is that if I can't tow it at cruising speed on the flat with the automatic locked up in top gear at 50 or 55 mph (i.e. 2000 -

2250 rpm) then I shouldn't be towing it very far unless I have a transmission cooler fitted (which I don't).
Reply to
Bruce Hoult