84 K5 RPM

What is the "redline" for an 84 Jimmy with the 5.0 (305)? Just put in a tach and guessed 5K for the limit. No Shift light to worry about, just curious. Somehow I don't think it's imperative as I doubt I'll bring her up to the "limit", just want it to "look" right.

TIA John

Reply to
John Davis

I've seen 2 limits on the 305, 4500 and 5000, with 4500 being the most common. That's a guess, if no one's got anything better.

Reply to
John Alt

Thanks John. I was just out there tinkering and it's actually sitting at

4500. Figure it's about normal and If I'm hitting that high of RPM, then I had best take stock of the bank account and the nearest gas station location....LOL
Reply to
John Davis

The way I did that on my S10 is to put it in 3rd gear when I was doing 70MPH and found the engine governed out at 5,500RPM. I'd probably try something like that. I have the crappiest little tach you'll ever see, but I wanted the red light to mean something.

Reply to
KJ

Wow, that's brilliant. You don't go by the name Checkmate every now and then, do you?

Care to be 'splaining the governor operation on an 84?

Reply to
John Alt

No, it isn't brilliant but he wants it to mean something. Not like one tach out is going to kill it. Besides, it would be fun to watch this beeterbox burn.

Reply to
KJ

So where might one find the governor on a carbed 305? Just curious... And after my beater box burns, feel free to swing by so I can return the favour. One good turn deserves another...

later

Reply to
John Davis

Where's the governor on a carberated 305? Simple....Under the valve covers ;)

Reply to
Scott M

That explains it then I guess LMAO

Reply to
John Davis

That's the 350. On the 305, they moved it to the back of the motor, near the muffler bearing.

Reply to
John Alt

------------------------------------------ Nope, Its under the valve covers on the 305 also. (I meant valves floating) :)

Reply to
Scott M

Oh OK, So I guess I can put away the headlight fluid.... That's a relief

Reply to
John Davis

Sorry, but I'm not commanding you to hold your foot to the floor in idle untill your engine self combusts. Infact, I'm not making you do anything. However, I am telling you what my little red needle means, and that I now know how hard I can push it if I need it. But also, why would an S10 have a

305? It's a 2.5 straight four.
Reply to
KJ

Hanging between his ears, the smartest most advanced ECM in existence.

Reply to
KJ