Can my 84 be ECC-4 controlled?

I'm about to undertake the restoration of an '84 5.0 GT vert and one of the first things I plan on doing is putting in an after-market distributor and ignition. My question is: Do I have to worry about the engine sensors or an ECC? I'm almost positive it doesn't have any as there is no EFI or variable-venturi; the car is carbureted with the Holly (600?) it came with and there's no "check engine" light to speak of (just idiot lights). The wiring under the hood is sloppy and my thought is to just rip out the factory stuff and start fresh with the aftermarket stuff.

Reply to
The Bob

I'm pretty sure there are no computer controls on your car. However, around this timeframe, Ford was doing a lot of crazy things and mix/matching the induction system and computer system. I had a carbureted 84 2.3 auto that had an EEC-IV. It took the rotor of an '85, and the distributor cap of a non-computer-controlled '84.

Easiest way to find out? Pop open the passenger side kick panel and see if there's a brainbox in there....

In any event, as long as you live in a non-emissions-controlled area, you should be able to rewire the car wth no problems. If you have a computer and you remove it, though, that's a smog check no-no.

JS

Reply to
JS

Yea, I live in CA...California, not Canada. No computer in the spot you mentioned...I think I'm in good shape. I just have to find a CARB II approved ignition and I should be in business.

Reply to
The Bob

Ooo... smog nazi central. Definately wouldn't want to be removing any computer controls there.

Is the MSD 6A box CARB II approved? I thought it was originally CARB approved... didn't know about the new approval?

I don't see why the high-powered multi-spark boxes wouldn't be approved - they burn more of the gas, which is what emissions restrictions is all about anyway.

JS

Reply to
JS

Everything I've seen says it is...that' the one I had my eye on. Good guess!

Reply to
The Bob