'84 Sierra is not moving...

Hello all.

I retrieved my beloved old truck from the mud. (It wasn't being abused, but the weather happened and turned the grassy patch it was resting on into a mud pit that I could not get it out of.)

Particulars: 6.2L Diesel, 4-speed automatic, no special differential that I know of...4x2

I pulled it out tonight with another truck. Now that it is free, something is evidently seriously wrong. Putting the shifter in drive results in the transmission seemingly going into gear (that feels like it always has). However, there is now very little go at all. In fact, the passenger's side rear wheel spins a little and there is a bad sounding kind of a whine and then several scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape noises coming from the rear. All this time the truck can barely move and it is pointing down a small hill. Reverse still seems to work just fine. There seems to be enough tranny fluid and it looks to be in excellent shape.

Anybody got any thoughts as to what stupid thing I did or what simply died?

William The Disheartened & Unable To Guess At What's Wrong

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Jack up the rear end and see if the wheels turn freely in N. Might just be a stuck brake drum.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Hi!

Doc, you might just have nailed it. My little brother was fooling with the emergency brake a few days prior to my finding the truck to be very stuck and uncooperative.

BTW, which wheel should spin on a truck like this? I've heard it's the left one, but it is doing nothing in drive gear and seemingly free wheeling (albeit somewhat 'tightly') in reverse.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

If yer' just checking for a stuck drum, you want to spin both wheels (not at once, one at a time) to check each drum for 'stuckness.' Lemme know what you find.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"