S-10 Dash removal HELP

Hello. A few days ago my heater core went and when I opened up the core casing, about a pint of coolint poured out. I generally don't use the heat, so a small leak that had soaked the passenger side carpet had escaped my notice until that day. Would like to know where to get instructions on dash removal. My youngest is allergic to all other forms of alcohol so I am going to have to scrub all the heater channels out. Any help is appreciated, Thom

Reply to
thomas34y

================================= Doesnt alcohol just evaperate away? Very quickly too? Or is there something else in coolant that is related to alcohol that he is allergic too that stays around? Is there any alcohol in coolant anyway? I have never heard that before.

Reply to
Scott M

Anti-freeze is etholine glycol, wood alcohol. With the additives that are present in most commercial antifreezes, the EG binds with it and becomes a little less evaporative. Also, with the current temp in my area, it could be april before the temp completely evaporates the residue. That is just a little long to be sucking prestone fumes. Thanks, any word on directions? Thom

"Scott M" wrote:

Reply to
thomas34y

Reply to
Scott M

ethylene glycol is NOT 'wood alcohol'

wood alcohol is methanol CH3OH

ethylene glycol is HOCH2CH2OH

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

====================== A quick google search reveals it's "ethylene alcohol". Not "methanol". I found it on the internet, it must be true! :)Either way he is probably alegic to it I guess.....?

Reply to
Scott M

Can't find the link right now but a while back someone had a web page with step by step instructions on how to replace the heater core with out removing the dash but only loosening parts of it and pulling on it a little. I followed the instructions on my '93 S-10 last year and it worked out perfectly. I know I printed the info but I may have also saved the actual html somewhere on my home machine if you would want me to try to dig it out.

JELo

Reply to
JELo

Here a great link. I just did it about 4 weeks ago. It wasn't to bad, about 3 hours (on a 35 degree day of course!) LOL

Now if someone could tell me how to get that smell out of my capet I'd be greatfull.

Reply to
John Q Public