'97 Chev. K3500 clutch master / slave cylinders...

Please forgive the cross posting as I think it's appropriate here.

As many folks already know, the clutch master / slave cylinders used in the '97 Chev. K3500 and presumably other related models are essentially a defective design. The normal failure mode is a failure to release the clutch, the clutch itself doesn't seem to have any issues.

As the clutch master and slave cylinders have been replaced on my truck a couple times with OEM parts, and now they are showing signs of failing once again, does anyone know of good non OEM replacement components to use?

I'll be doing this next repair myself, and given that I have a fairly complete machine shop, I have no problem using completely different parts, even say Ford 350 series parts, and fabricating the appropriate adapters needed.

Thanks,

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

As many folks already know, the clutch master / slave cylinders used in the '97 Chev. K3500 and presumably other related models are essentially a defective design. The normal failure mode is a failure to release the clutch, the clutch itself doesn't seem to have any issues.

As the clutch master and slave cylinders have been replaced on my truck a couple times with OEM parts, and now they are showing signs of failing once again, does anyone know of good non OEM replacement components to use?

I'll be doing this next repair myself, and given that I have a fairly complete machine shop, I have no problem using completely different parts, even say Ford 350 series parts, and fabricating the appropriate adapters needed.

Thanks,

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

I like afco master cylinders. Get any size you want.

Reply to
Steve Austin

It seems unlikely that both parts failed at the same time. You should spend some time diagnosing the problem and then repair it. Since you a wiz at fabrication why not fabricate a new truck and then put the Ford parts on it.

nobody #1 dumb answers for dumb questions at your service

Reply to
nobody #1

Hey Nobody........you are out of the box again ! haw haw haw Pete

Reply to
Pete

Hmmmm......I've got a '96 Silverado 305, 5spd, that just turned 160k. I still have the original clutch and master/slave cylinders. Never had a moment's problem in that area.

Reply to
Mike Copeland