Megane coolant loss

Hi

I recently bought a Megane RT, 1996 with 76K. I have noticed that when I top up the coolant it goes back down after a few days & the inside of the bottle is quite oily. I think the oil level has risen a bit but not sure of this. There is a bit of white splodge inside the oil filler cap.

Is this likely to be the head gasket & what checks can I do. How much would it cost to get the work done & is it much of a job as I've done some mechanics in the past & may be able to attempt it.

Any help is appreciated.

Phil

Reply to
Phil

Yep, sounds like a definite head gasket. It's possible that it's a cracked block, but much, much more likely to be the gasket. I don't think there's any checks you need to do - losing coolant, oil in the cooling system and water in the oil (hence the white 'mayonnaise' around the fillte cap) are all pretty much definite symptoms of a screwed head gasket.

You'll want to get it sorted quickly - leave it too long and the head may well get warped.

Cheers

Dave P

Reply to
David Precious

. How much

When someone asks whether they would be able to do it themselves I tend to feel that the answer must be 'no' if the question is asked.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham