Blower resistor

96 Silverado

Fan is missing a speed. Web research suggests blower motor resistor might be bad. Where is it?

Thanx Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

It's in the duct work where it gets blown on by the blower. Could be under the dash or under the hood. It will have about 4 or 5 wires plugged into it.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

It's behind the glove box. Follow the wire from your blower moter it goes right to it.

Reply to
Randd01

Does it involve a lot of disassembly to access it? I bought the part. It looks easy to put in. Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

It's simple open glove box and flex the side so the latch will let it fall to the floor, follow wires from heater motor to resistor and remove two screws and two wire connectors. Install new resistor and connect wires .

Reply to
Randd01

I must be thicker than the average bear. I found a wire bundle but could not see where it ends. As I am looking thru the glove box hole where should I be looking?

Thanx Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

You may have to remove the plastic trim cover to expose the blower motor. I'm not sure if your year of truck has this or not.

Reply to
Randd01

Well, I found it and replaced it. What a PITA! I'm sure the shop manual will say to drop the blower motor duct work. I didn't. I managed to get at it thru the glove box. I am missing some skin on the back of my hand though. The one I pulled out did look somewhat toasted but did not seem to have any burnt connections. And, I still have the same problem...my fan has no 3rd gear. I guess the switch is the next guess. It's prolly time for a schematic also. :( Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Hey Mike the switch isnt available alone. You have to buy the whole HVAC control. It costs around $125-$150. It's almost as much fun to install as resister :-). If you tested old resister with ohm meter and it was good it is more then likely the control. They had some trouble with those too.

Reply to
Randd01

I did not test it before I removed it. I do not have a wiring diagram and getting to the plug in point with test leads is impossible. Guess it's time to hit the junk yards. I have a few small pieces I need anyhow. I really need a wiring diagram. Anyone know where to find a good one?

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Sorry no gots!

Reply to