CD's with labels?

Anyone else have problems with their CD player freezing on CD's with paper labels? Should I complain about this? Recorded CDs without labels are fine.

2004 Canyon.
Reply to
Commentator

Never never use CD's with paper labels in CD players that you load the CD from the front. The labels are meant for CD players like computers use. They load in a tray. As you've learned they peel off.

nospam

Reply to
NoSpam

Hi!

No, you should not complain. Your CD player is working properly--it is the labels that are the problem. They make the disc thicker and more prone to being out of balance when played. For the average tray loading, single speed CD player neither of these factors really present a problem...but on a slot loading, skip protected CD player where clearances are tight and the disc is spun faster you can have trouble.

Extreme heat can also make these printed paper labels peel off of the disc. If this happens when the disc is in your truck's player, you will probably have to disassemble it to get your disc back.

William The Guesser

Reply to
William Walsh

Time to peel some labels, then.

Thanks.

Reply to
Commentator

Wouldn't it be simpler to just burn backups. The leftover glue may cause balance problems as well as being pretty messy.

RJ in WV

Reply to
RJ in WV

Good point. Blanks are pretty darn cheap anyway, probably not worth messing with.

Reply to
Commentator

Some Ink Jet printers can print directly to a CD so you don't have to use any label that peal off. If you make a lot of custom CD's this is something to think about. You'll have NO problem playing the CD's in front loading players.

Reply to
JBDragon

Not only that if the adhesive pulls the backing off the CD it's ruined.

Reply to
NoSpam

yes you should complain, I have a Alpine cd player in my S10 and never had a problem playing ANY cd.

Dargo.

Reply to
Dargo

No he should not. On the box of CD labels that I have from Memorex it says "DO NOT USE ON CD DRIVES THAT ARE FRONT LOADING"! You have just been lucky.

nospam

Reply to
NoSpam

Hope you have good quality media... otherwise, I would burn backups before you peel anything... I've had the material that holds the data pull off with a simple piece of scotch tape... imagine my shagrin.. Can't imagine what it would do with a label that's stuck on the whole cd..

coasters anyone?

Reply to
Celica Dude

Thats what you get when you got to havethem damm cds, go back to tapes.

Reply to
LARRY929

vinyl is the deal

Reply to
Celica Dude

8-track

the ONLY way to go

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Bingo! Let's Brink Em Back! ;-)

nospam

Reply to
NoSpam

Still have abunch of vinil and 8 tracks too

Reply to
LARRY929

actually, I was being serious about the vinyl comment... the sound quality is still hard to match.

How about those chryslers with the under-dash-mounted record player? Talk about nightmare! Listening to Sinatra skip every time you hit the slightest bump... (hahah i know i know, i'm sure they were for when you were stationary)

Reply to
Celica Dude

Yep, those pops and scratch noises are hard to match.

Reply to
Scott M

I have 40 year old vinyl that sounds as good as some of the new CD's. Some of the "collectons" that are on CD's actually come from vinyl because the masters are no longer available (it's called "best available source"). I can record and playback on almost any media you got but I still prefer tape (reel to reel) and vinyl.

Rich B

There is a new technology that will be available this summer. It is called "LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling" where you burn the data (music in this case) onto the disc, flip the disc over in the burner and then burn the label onto the top of the disc using your burner. It will require a "LightScribe-enabled" burner, which should start shipping in new systems and be available in replacement burners this summer. The technology should only add a few dollars to the cost of a new computer and a few pennies to the cost of the discs.

For more information go to

I have no stake in this product. Just thought you folks would like to know.

Ron

Reply to
RonT