96 chevy truck, Cant open door!

I have a 96 full size 4x4 with 270,000 miles or so. The door suddenly cant open from the inside, I have to rill the window down and open from the outside. What could this be?

Reply to
stryped

damaged or broken linkage to the inside handle.

Reply to
Brent P

All kinds of things, from a broken linkage between the handle and the latch to a sticking lock. Take the inside panel off the door and look inside with a flashlight and mirror.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I would start by taking the inside handle off, hoping it broke there. Next comes the whole panel though.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

It's been my experience that the usual failure procedure on this model starts with a sagging door(bushings worn out, which were probably never lubricated) which makes the door itself drag on the striker. To open the door when this starts to happen you end up pulling harder and harder on the interior handle, which eventually causes the handle to fracture where the operating rod attaches to it.

Basically if the door is sagging you need to get that fixed and then replace the handle, or you'll be replacing handles on a semi-frequent basis from now on.

Good luck with it.

Chris

Reply to
Hal