Neon gauge cluster replacement

Does anyone know how difficult it is to replace the gauge cluster in a

2002 Neon? There is one for sale locally that is in great shape, but is the very entry level model and lacks even a tachometer. They shouldn't even let car makers sell a stick shift without a tach! :-)

Is the cluster easy to replace? Is the wiring harness wired for the tach signal? Is the signal already available or do I need to add a sensor in addition to the tachometer?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

If the price on the car is right, get it, figure out somewhere where you can mount 3 extra gauges (A-pillar and dash center come to mind), get the gauges and mount kit, and install them. EGauges.com or Summit Racing come to mind as good suppliers. What to do with the 2 extra spaces? I'd recommend an oil pressure gauge and either an oil temperature gauge or voltmeter.

An oil pressure gauge is useful because if your oil pressure drops enough under load to turn on the light, your engine's probably already borked. A voltmeter is good because it'll tell you if your battery isn't charging (the "ALT" light on the dash only illuminates for *some* charging system faults).

The other option is to look for a used Volvo 240. Same amount of power as the base Neon, and only about 300 lb heavier. The power can easily be upped to 135hp or so just by changing the cam to one available from IPD for less than $200. The cars can also be made to handle very well by adding a set of 25mm or 25/22mm swaybars (takes about 3 hr to do). Adding full gauges is easy since the holes are already there in the dash.

Lastly, a 240 will last you for 250,000 miles or more if properly taken care of. And it's rear-wheel-driven...

-Andrew

Reply to
<gro.ratsenol.fds

But can I get a 2002 240 with 63,000 miles for $4700? :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Nah, probably not. But you can definitely get a good 93 240 or a 96 940T for that price. You get what you pay for with the Neon, unfortunately.

-Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Szafran

True, but they are one of the best driving small cars I've tried out. I really wanted a Corolla, but the driving position on those is just terrible.

If the Neon lasts 40,000 miles (to just over 100,000), I'd easily get my money out of it.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting