Does anybody still...

Does anybody still make a GOOD Truck

Seriously, one that does not have critical openers tied together with guaranteed to deteriorate and break plastic.

Bah humbug. Of course if it breaks its ten minutes before closing time at the local dealerhsip and they really don't give a flying F*** whether having to wait is going to cost you time and money and the guy in service makes quite F***ing plain that the fact you have bought four trucks there and were planning to buy two more doesn't mean ssh*t to him. You are just another puke... In fact less than apuke because you actually want him to do his job.

Screw that. Before I buy another truck I am going to interview the service manager at the dealerhsip first.

It would take less than a mintue to replace the stupid palstic part, but the guy at the dealership doesn't really care if you have to postpone a business trip where you need your truck.

And they say "buy local." Why? It costs more and you get treated like crap anyway. Get the best price you can and when you need service bring your attroney to the dealerhsip with you.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

If its that easy to do, why didn't you do it yourself? You lament they don't give a flying f### about your needs, but you don't give a F^#@ about theirs ether. Your plans are way more important than any the staff expecting to get off at quitting time might have been, after all their just peons. You say you have bought trucks there, and that's great, but how much money have you spent in the service department? it's like buying gas, yeah the corner station might be a few cents a gallon higher, but it sure is nice when someone from there will come down to your place when its 10 below and the truck wont start If you think Honda or Toyota will do you better, well don't let the door hit you where the sun don't shine on the way out.

somehow I don't think the all the "flying F###" would cut it on the forums at your site

damn and the guy had Mercs on the boats I saw on his site.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Hi!

They all break, rust, wear out, and those "kind of annoying" things.

I just put the spare tire on a '94 Chevrolet C1500 W/T...and it was an adventure to say the least. Spare came down, was good, and all that. But the flat tire wouldn't come off!

It took the service guy from the dealership, one guy just passing through, my grandparents and myself to get the !#$% tire to come off the hub. Amazing what a little rust will do--but no matter who made it, they all rust.

Now that it's all back together and put right, it's a "good truck" again. But that wasn't my thought in the parking lot, wrestling with that tire...

What fastener is that? Unless it was a door handle, I really can't imagine such a problem making your truck undriveable.

There are two sides to this, as another poster pointed out. But if you're really not satisfied with the dealership, try another. The dealership I bought from has always made a point of their customer service, and they do follow through.

Go ahead, but don't be too surprised if they say everything you want to hear and then some.

I don't think so. I bought locally because of the better service and care for the customer that none of the "big guys" could match.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

I would if they would have been willing to get me the parts. The guy wouldn't even do that.

It was not closing time yet. I guess working until you punch out is a lost work ethic in this country. Sorry to offend you by expecting better.

Obviously I'm just a puke to them. Just peons to me nope.

Four trucks. All under warranty, and unfortunately they have all needed it. I had just spoke with the sales manager last week about getting two new ones and trading in a couple of those I have.

Golly, if I had gotten the service or even the guy being willing to let me get the parts and do it myself I might consider your arguement. Unfortunately you missed the point. I did buy local and it was made quite plain to me they don't care. Its not the other way around. I might still by GM or Ford or whatever, but not at that dealership. I'll go out of town and save a couple bucks. I choose to vote with my wallet.

I tell the local dealer know that you agreed with me that I shouldn't bother to buy any more vehicles from him, and just go for whoever has the best price.

Sadly Mercury probably won't be on my next boat. They go fast, but just don't hold up as well as the Evinrudes I've had. One ate a powerhead already. To Mercury's credit the replaced it quickly with no headaches.

My big peeve though is that the truck shouldn't break to begin with. Come on. Why would any sane manufacturer use a plastic that deteriorates on the tailgate connecting rod of a pickup truck? Really it would have been that easy to change myself. Ford used plastics like that in their trucks back in the 70s, but it held up for 15+ years atleast. This truck isn't 3 years old.

I wouldn't even worry about it, but I am spending my weekend working and I have a ton "literally" of old alarm batteries to take in for recycling or whatever the distributors do with them. Now I'm gonna have to fight with the darned tailgate all weekend or find another dealer to get them from. Thats the only truck that is suitable to handle the laod or I would take one of the others.

Actually I have been seriously wondering what vehicles to get in the future anyway. Out of those four (five, actually I got one from the GM dealer) none of them have been trouble free. For the last six months or so I've had twice a month with one of thes trucks to have something stipid like that fixed under warranty. These aren't old trucks. The oldest is a 2002 with about 40K miles. Most of it has been little stuff, but you get really frustrated when five out of five GM trucks needs to go into the shop every couple months for something or other that fails or breaks. I've had a bunch of bad batteries (broke out around the positive terminal), door latch problems, a theft deterrant system added by the dealer that kept killing a truck, loose steering that still isn't fixed after multiple visits on one, multiple bad tires on another truck, bad gages, bad steering box, bad air conditioning vent actuator motor, defective brake pads, ashtry breaking and falling out (and they can't fix it even though the truck is still under warranty) etc etc etc... all relatively minor, but all costing time that those trucks aren't working for me. All things I can easily fix myself, but since its under warranty... In some cases because the time out wasn't worth it I have fixed the problems myself even though they were all under warranty items.

I guess I shouldn't even mention the extra week one of my trucks was out of service because the service writer hit another car in the parking lot with it.

I really want to know what trucks I can get that aren't constantly having little stuff break. These trucks are used for work, but they are not being abused, and they are serviced religously.

So which trucks won't break all the time?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Its sad actually. On the sales side they have treated me pretty good. I could have only saved a couple hundred dollars max by going out of town for my trucks I would have preferred to buy from the local GM dealer instead of the Chevy dealer because their shop has a whole order or magnitude better customer service, but they kinda suck on the sales side. Up until a few years ago it was no big deal. I bought Chevys and had them service in the GM shop, but GM no longer allows cross line warranty service if their is a line dealer in the region.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Yup.... that sounds about right.

Reply to
Bob

Sounds like it but it isn't. I very nicely asked the guy if I could just get the little plastic clips and replace them myself. No dice.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

This makes no sense.

Are you saying that the parts department refused to sell you some plastic clips, cash and carry?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

It doesn't make any sense does it, but then a service writer doesn't make any commissions if you do a repair yourself. I spoke with a former service write a while back who let me know that their service writers basicaly get paid straight commission. If I had remember that yesterday I might have approached it a little differently.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

So I guess you knew that all the mechanics qualified to doi what needed doing were just standing around shooting the breeze and no one was working on anything?

So the only time they go to the service department is for warranty service.

I didnt say that at all,

I got a rude on mine, trying to talk Mama into a new Merc, tired of carb problems.

Check all the truck forums, you will see lots of complaints about the clips on the tail gate latches letting loose

Autozone, NAPA, Advanced AutoParts all carry those clips.

I got a feeling it wont matter which brand you buy.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Still doesn't make any sense.

What does a service writer have to do with whether or not the parts department will sell you the clips?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

"Whitelightning" wrote in

Getting OT here, but carb problems are universal on any outboard that doesn't see much use. I've got two carbed Mercs and I've owned two fuel injected Mercs. The fuelies never had any problems with fuel systems. The carbed motors need to have the carbs drained or the engines run atleast every couple weeks. Same with Evinrudes. I was referring to more serious issues.

Another thing I had a Merc tech tell me. Even with only short periods of in activity you should park your boat with the carbed motor tilted down. If you store/park it with motor tilted up the carbs will tend to leak out a little bit leaving more air in carb causing fuel to evaporate faster and therefore gum up faster.

From everything I am hearing with current production motors the way to go is with an Evirude E-Tech HO. Power, reliability, long warranty, and virtually no break-in period needed.

P.S. The truth on that break-in period is if you run WOT for longer than would be recomedded on an engine with a normal breakin period the computer will cut power on you until you have more than X (not sure how many) hours on the motor. Its actually pretty cool. You can open her up for short periods as soon as you fire it up for short periods.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Hi!

I think the original poster wants to get the clips as a warranty part (no cost to him, hopefully) and do the installation himself. Perhaps the two concepts are incompatible. I suppose that the dealership won't provide these parts under the warranty for liability reasons, and maybe because they simply can't do it.

That wouldn't stop anyone from buying these outright (it's been mentioned in this thread that the parts are sold elsewhere) but then it's your expense.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh