Done With GM

Really. Then you probably read about the recall and extended warranty the Toyota gave on the V6 used in the trucks. Ask the owners of late

90's GM 3.4l if GM extended their warranty for the coolant leak.

AZGuy wrote:

Reply to
Craig R

I had the head gasket go twice before 200,000km on my '95 S10. The dealer tried to charge $1600 the first time. I definitely wasn't impressed with that vehicle.

Don't get me started on the problems I've had with my '03 Silverado....

V.B.

Reply to
vb

Want my 1972 chevelle 4 door for parts? awesome interior and I'm sure plenty of other parts. Local is southern NH.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Every vehicle by every make by every year rusts out here in the rust belt - period. GM, dodge, ford, international, mack, honda, toyota, truck, car, mini-van, van, tractor, 70's, 80's, 90's, and I'm sure the 2000's. If you make it out of steel it will rust in new england.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

You probably heard about the Toyotas that fried their electric lock switches and as a result kept power to all the doors in the LOCKED positron. People could not exit their cars except thru the windows. Ask the owners if Toyota extended their warranty to fix this defect.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

I got a kid brother who managed to blow the head gasket and ruin three cylinder heads on a Chevy caviler with the 2.0 ltr. inside of 16 months. Does that make it a bad engine? No. What it does say is it took him three times being billed by me at flat rate as per Mitchell's labor guide to learn that when the gauge goes up, and the red light comes on, it means shut the damned thing off now. Head gaskets don't just blow. engines have to be overheated to cause that problem. And be it American made or jap built, you over heat most anything built after '80, you blow head gaskets, and with most cars today, you buy a cylinder head as well, as most allow a one time shave of .005 inches. because of the move by all manufactures to thin cast cylinder heads because they dissipate heat better and shave weight off the engine.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

a 1987? if you have had it that long you must like the truck. why not just fix it I am sure it's paid off...... I had replaced 3 water pumps on our 97 Tahoe before realizing it was an intake gasket . we spent the $500 bucks and I put another water pump on it and we have our good ole

5.7 Votec Tahoe back... Happy as can be. It's paid off I am not going to complain about spending a few bucks as opposed to getting another car payment.

If Toyotas are a concern don't buy one dem der Lexus's....

as for Isuzu motors I am tickled sideways with my 04 LLY Duramax...what a haus...

Have a Great One ! Bob :)

Reply to
Bob Perkins JustaBenz

I've got a '93 3/4 ton Chevy pickup, 6.5 turbodiesel, 193,000 miles. Uses about a quart of oil every 4,000. I've never had to put a wrench on this engine, but I do keep the oil and coolant changed in it. Got a 6.2 diesel from my old '85 1/2 ton Chevy pickup on an engine stand in the garage that I'll overhaul and put in the '93 when that engine finally dies. It's got

235,000 on it and was running fine when my son totaled the truck. I know some folks have had bad luck with GM products, but I've never had a bad one. I_have_had a lot of frustration working on a '92 Olds Cutlass with the 3.4 DOHC engine. Not a bad engine, just one evil, wailing bitch to work on. Just my .02.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

I just had to get into this one, my 85K20 went 148.000 on the original clutch guess i should bitch about it huh? BTW the motor has never been apart either!!

Reply to
LARRY929

it's awfully hard to top a '70s IH or a 80's toyota in the speed in which they rusted out.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

"All" GM 60 degree v-6 engines have had intake gasket problems, right from the word go. 3.1's and 3.4's, 3100/3400....all of them have had intake problems of one kind or another. I'm not quite sure what you mean about the EGR valve location....I've never seen one engine that you could say "that" was the problem on the 60 degree v-6 engines. They usually start leaking at the water passage ports at all four corners.

Now the small block v-8 chevy engines used have intake manifold gasket problems because of the EGR valve location. It used to cook the gasket back by the #6, and #8 cylinders and then it would suck oil into those two cylinders.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Yes...but most late 90's 3.4 engines have too many miles on them by now to qualify for that type of extended coverage. Most 3.4 engines right now get the intake gasket replaced under "good will" coverage. It's not "special policy" like the 2.0 liter engine head gasket problem was. Those "special policies" usually run for

7 years/160,000 klms. But nobody really knows about them until they bring the vehicle in for repairs.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

It's not "anecdotal" evidence. If you want, come spend a day with me in the shop, and then you will have all the hard evidence you want. Go into any GM dealership that has a lot of work going through their shop and ask them about 3100/3400 intake gaskets, ask them about Vortec v-8 and v-6 intake gaskets. Geez, that's what keeps me rolling in the money is all of GM's lousy designs.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Yeah that's a lot like the camshaft issues that effected most every early model 305 in the late 70's and early 80's. GM would even reimburse you if you had a non GM garage perform the repairs. If you didn't know about it they sure didn't tell you.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

it included The 327 and 350 engines

The Metal Was TOO SOFT.. Loabs wore right down

Reply to
Santa